is this possible?-hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankbandit

Baseband Member
can i install a hard drive in an existing computer w/ a hard drive installed already AND copy the existing hard drive completely, along w/ the operating system, using the newly installed hard drive THEN uninstall that new hard drive and install it in a new system(as the only hard disk) having that hard drive acting fully functional along w/ the operating system?
hope that made sense
any help would be appreciated
thanx

U can do this provided both systems have identical hardware. U'll hafta use Norton Ghost or soemthin' like that..

Otherwise it is not possible

thanks for respondin....would this be in any violation concerning windows activation? i mean, does this mean i can have that same OS that i copied, along w/ the rest of the hard drive,(using norton ghost for example) on two diff computers having bypassed the licensing and activation process? i'm speakin , technically not morally.
thanx

Yes. You need a seperate Activation Key and EULA for each machine operating a copy of Windows (Morally, anyhow.)

I am guessing that a full 9 out of 10 of us here have bent or broken this rule in some way, shape or form at least once in our lifetime, though. ;)

Blade

Digital_empire said:
Yes. You need a seperate Activation Key and EULA for each machine operating a copy of Windows (Morally, anyhow.)

I think youre wrong here.

I had to contact MS after a SATA issue and get a new activation code and they didnt care so long as the new HDD was in one machine.

Should be fine, I doubt youll even need to re-activate windows after the swap.

This is quoted directly from the Microsoft website. I shall also include the link afterwards.

"Windows XP Professional is available as a full product or as an upgrade from Windows 98/Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, or Windows XP Home Edition. Under the Windows XP End-User License Agreement (EULA), you may install one licensed copy of Windows XP on one computer."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/pricingretail.asp

This was taken from another page on Microsoft.

"How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of Product Activation?

The underlying principles of Microsoft's software licenses have not changed. Microsoft's End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. Office XP or Office 2003 may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP or Office 2003 on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for Office XP or Office 2003 acquired preinstalled on a new PC are single-PC licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another PC or laptop computer. Windows XP may be installed on one PC. There are no secondary use rights (e.g. no "laptop clause") in the Windows XP EULA. The aforementioned licensing terms have not been changed due to Product Activation. Some special licensing programs (such as the Microsoft Developer Network) provide additional licensing terms. Please check your specific license agreement or EULA for specifics. Re-installation and re-activation on the same PC can be done an unlimited number of times."

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/mpafaq.asp#policies

As stated before, each machine running windows needs a seperate license. However, you can have windows installed 100 times if you want on 10 different harddrives on that one machine.

Blade

You're not doing another installation, so that argument doesn't hold.

Blank, as someone who has done it many times, I'll tell you straight. As long as you don't change any of the hardware (ie, you're copying the info to the same type of HD with the same physical size, etc) you'll see no problem. it's when you start swapping out the motherboard and two of your drives for the two drives in your other computer and a diffferent processor, etc that XP freaks. I think it has something to do with XP assigning numerical values to each piece of hardware. When something changes, it racks up points. Go over the points and you have to re-register. I think I read that somewhere a good time back, but don't remember for sure. extremetech.com usually has some awesome info on stuff like this, and they would prolly go into the depth you would need. worth a check......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom