Thermal compound question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripp1n

Solid State Member
Im about to order a 22g arctic silver ceramique over at svc.com which is only $8, i also see though that they sell a 2.5g one for $4. So do you get that much more for only $4, or are they different.
Or if anyone else has anything they recommend to order(will be using it on a zalman9500), i got a little scared off from as5 as i heard it can damage hardware and with my luck i rather not try it,but also heard ceramique can glue your processor to your heatsink.
input appreciated
thank you.

as5 damage hardware ?? thats crazy talk. that stuff is fine, anyways simple math shows its almost 9 times as much, so thats how much more you get for paying 2 times as much. only good if your gonna have several applications to use it on, other wise the 2.5 is good for a one shot deal.

the ARCTIC COOLING MX-1 is supposed to be the best for low temps idk what kinda cpu your using it on, but thats another option.

yeah i only have 1 processor(x2 3800) to use it on, just thought you had to apply it every few months.
If its true the mx-1 is better i guess ill purchase that one, just have to make up my mind quick as im running my cpu with a mix of 2 thermal compounds atm.
any more input is appreciated,thanks

It'd be interesting for a thermal compound to damage the hardware... don't think they'd be in business long!

I'm not an over-clocker...so I only respread when changing mobo's or (has only happened once thus far, hairy cats I tell ya) when just cleaning it out -- you'd be surprised at how much cat hair builds up in there! Nonetheless I only have a single-core, but the 2.5g I bought...has lasted three times, and plan to use it once more -- following the the instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm -- putting only maybe .5 - 1g on at a time. Temps were really never a problem for me..but it definetly has not damaged anything...and my CPU (AMD 3200+) runs at about 35º idle, 39º loaded, using the retail fan.

I've always used the AS5...since it's what I bought to start with...

Dunno if any advice is in there, but yeah...:)
-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom