RAID 1 vs RAID 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdude255

Baseband Member
Considering adding a RAID array to my next build, I know the difference between the methods of RAID 1 and 0, but i'm wondering which will have better performance loading and writing data.

Which will produce the best load times? Will it even be a significant difference?

harry18 said:
0, 1 just makes a big disk out of the 2

Incorrect. 0 gives better performance and makes a big disk out of two. The reason it gives better performance is because information can be stripped across both, and both will be reading at the same time, increasing read speeds. Write speed is increased as well, just less dramatically.

1 gives the same performance, and writes the same thing on both disks, making them redundant, for security.

RAID 0 basically make 2 harddrives act as one. It puts some of the data on on hdd then the rest on the other hdd, and since it loads from 2 hdd's it loads faster. RAID 1 is just a way of backing up in case your main harddrive dies. It installed all of the files on both harddrives.

RAID 0 (striping): requires a minimum of 2 disks to be implemented. roughly scales as a multiple of the number of disks in performance e.g. 2 disks is close to double performance as half the data is stored on each drive on a different channel (with SATA) each extra drive adds to the maximum read/write speed

RAID 1 (mirroring): requires drives to be added in pairs with a minimum of 2 needed to implement it. no real performance increase but the advantage is in "data redundancy", meaning if a drive fails you don't lose your work. that is because each pair is a clone of each other so that if one of the pair fails you have a drive with identical data and this can be used to copy data to a replacement drive.

this website is very useful for learning about RAID and it definitely helped me to get my head around it!!!
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

hey, i wanted to setup a raid 0 the one that stripes things across like. would that make 2 250gb HD's appear as one 250gb HD? or would it appear as one 500gb HD? or would it appear as 2 250gb hd's? i never setup raid before obviously because i'm lazy. i thought i 'd give it a shot this time around unlike newegg who price gouges their loyal customers and spit on the very principals of raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom