Old dog new tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgp_nc

Baseband Member
I have been in the proccess of upgrading my computer over the past few months and it is comming along well, but not as well as I had hoped. I bought a GeForce 6600 AGP 256mb card but am not that satisfied with it. What are some better cards I can look into that are also AGP. Also, is there a large difference in performance between pc333 memory and pc400. I also have an old 3.06ghz pentium 4 with hyperthreading and a 533mhz bus speed. how much will I gain if I upgrade to a newer pentium 4?

The ram and cpu combo upgrade will **** in speeds of loading stuff and probably higher fps. The video card is a major weak point there depending on what games.

Edit: One thing alot of people usually say as an option is sell your current rig and take that money and whatever money you have right now and build a new computer.

I would try and find a 6800gs, 7600gs, or even a 7800gs if you have a bigget budget.

DDR400 is a little faster than 333, but I wouldn't upgrade unless you were going from 512 or 1 gig to 2 gigs.

Depending on whether your CPU is a 478 or a 775, you're upgrade options may be limited. You pretty much have top of the line if its a 478. If you have a 775, look at the Pentium D's or a C2D.

The cards Ridlyn suggested are the tops for AGP.

If you're up to upgrading your mobo for a 775 and PCI-E, but can't afford to buy RAM and a new graphics card all at once, check out this one:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117654

thanks for the advice. That's basically what I wanted to know. I will probably go for another GPU. My only other question is whether or not I will see perormance increase by upgrading to a slightly faster CPU with a higher bus speed.

Well like trotter said, it all depends on what socket your running on.

478 or 775.

You can check my download CPU-Z
:D

pgp_nc said:
thanks for the advice. That's basically what I wanted to know. I will probably go for another GPU. My only other question is whether or not I will see perormance increase by upgrading to a slightly faster CPU with a higher bus speed.

Not much of a performance increase. Maybe just a few percentage points, even less in gaming which is much more GPU dependant.

I have a socket 478. My mobo says it supports pentium 4 but if its a socket 478 can I use any 478 pin CPU?

Ya, i was pretty positve that you had a agp mobo, because i know of very little mobos that have a socket 775 and a agp slot. If you have the money to upgrade to a new cpu/mobo Pretty much no matter what you get now is gonna be ddr2 memory, unless you go skt 939 from AMD. Which i dont suggest.

I would go with an amd athlon 3000/3200/3500+ If you dont have alot of money, and maybe ddr2 667mhz. I recommendt ddr2 800, but it's fairly expensive.

If you have a little more money i suggest a Core 2 Duo e6300. I dont know the mobos fairly well, but i do know is that there are a few mobos under $100. I highly recommend getting ddr2 800 with the c2d and aftermarket heatsink and do a small oc to 2.4-2.6ghz or more.

Then for gpus, if you're low on money after the cpu upgrade 7600gs or even a 6600/gt. But if you have a bigger budget 7600gt/7900gt may be a possibility.

EDIT:I suggested this stuff if your looking into upgrading cpu/mobo. If you want to upgrade the cpu, you'll have to upgrade mobo because they 3.0ghz pentium is top of the line for 478.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom