New copy of XP + installing over old oem copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRoWZ

In Runtime
regarding this thread
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117459
My only option is to buy a new win xp oem disc. Ive got a few questions that im confused about.

1)Would this copy of xp work and does it include a cd key with it? (so could I just throw my old cd key away and never use it again?)
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=44RX

2)How would i go about deleting everything off my hard drive and then getting it ready for a clean install of XP? (Right now it just has a partition of a crappy recovery system and a corrupted version of windows xp that never loads). Thanks alot for any help.

Okay to answer your questions.

1.) yes it is a full edition of XP Home and comes with a CD key.

2.) Insert the disc and follow the prompts to install. XP has a format function that you can use to format the drive and get it ready for a fresh install.

If you already have a good xp key don't buy another one, Like eric said borrow someone's cd, even make a copy for yourself there is no copy protection on an xp cd. WHY?? its the key that is important not the cd. the company might have went under but Microsoft hasn't. The worst that can happen is you have to call micrsoft when you go to re-activate. Dude this is perfectly legal. The newer the cd the better chance your cd key will work. Microsoft has enough money you don't need to give them more when you already paid for it.

FlashDude said:
If you already have a good xp key don't buy another one, Like eric said borrow someone's cd, even make a copy for yourself there is no copy protection on an xp cd. WHY?? its the key that is important not the cd. the company might have went under but Microsoft hasn't. The worst that can happen is you have to call micrsoft when you go to re-activate. Dude this is perfectly legal. The newer the cd the better chance your cd key will work. Microsoft has enough money you don't need to give them more when you already paid for it.

so true.

if you explain your situation that will probably give one for 6 bucks (shipping charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom