Corrupted hard drive partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FactorD

Beta member
I have used Acronis disk director to partiton the HDD, I have Windows server 2003 running on the C:/ and Vista on D:/

My problem: When booting Vista (beta release 2) I get a corrupt HDD error, it then goes through a scanning procedure to which at the end it says something like "HDD full... CHKSDK aborted" or something like that. My HDD is not full.

The C:/ where windows server is, runs fine there appears to be no problems on this partition, I have run check disk within windows itself and have used "HDDLife" to check and it is healthy.

However there appears to be problems on the D:/... Like I said Vista boots from this partition and everytime I boot I get a few HDD corrupt errors and go through that annoying scanning precedure, and at the end it always says that "the disk is full" or "not enough space" etc.

What's crazy is, HDDLife shows this partition as not containting any data at all, it said there was no free or used space, yet I can see and access all the files just fine fomr windows itself, very strange.

I don't think there is anything physically wrong with the drive at all. I've been lead to the conclusion this may be something to do with how Acronis partitioned the drive. Plus, I have had a few bad resets/ power offs while using Vista which has caused some files to get corrupted.

I would like to get advice on how to....

1. Fix my HDD problem without removing or re-installing windows server (my main OS)
2. Advise me on a suitable disk partition software for windows server (isn't there abuilt in hdd partioner in win server?)
3. Recover my partition allocated for vista using whichever partition software.
4. Re-partition the drive again, so I can install vista on it.

Thanks, please if you could reply ASAP it would be much obliged.

you have probably format the 8 mb partition table (that should always be left alone) on the hard drive as part of vista

EricB said:
you have probably format the 8 mb partition table (that should always be left alone) on the hard drive as part of vista

every time i format i delete that partition too is that bad?

What should I do to resolve thi problem?

I want to remove the partition completely, will that fix the problem at all? And what's the best way to do that? Should I uninstall vista first?

delete the partition that is covering the partition table (which shold be vista) in xp

then manaully make the partition on the next vista install leaving that 8 mb free (it's on the beginning or the end of your hard drive)

I did the same thing when I first install this version of vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom