Windows XP - default gateway..

Status
Not open for further replies.

marulk2

Beta member
Hello.

I have two ethernetcards, with static IPs assigned, and those interfaces uses two different gateways.

The gateways use the same metric (30), and I need them both to have 30. (for certain reasons)

The problem is, since the two gateways are on the same metric, windows tends to switch the default gateway, on random occassions.
I need the default gateway, to stay the same, without increasing/decreasing the metric for one of the gateways.

Any ideas ?
Thanks.

Regards,
Patrik, Sweden

Hello marulk2,

This Automatic metric is enable by default, you'll have to disable it in the advanced section of the TCP/IP protocol.

Go to Control Panel/Network Connection, right click on the adapter you want to modify and select Properties. Double click on TCP/IP and select the advanced button on the bottom right. In the Default Gateways section, select the one you want and click edit and specify your own metric.

Is this what you are looking for?

Or you can disable the automatic metric for the LAN, the setting is just below the default gateway section.

Thanks for your reply.

yeah, I know I can set the metric manually, but I still need the metric to be "30". So if I set the metric manually, I need to set it to 30 on both interfaces anyhow.

So the question remains, how do I "lock" the default gateway to one address, if there is two gateways on the same metric.

//Patrik

I know what you are trying to do now, but I'm still trying to look into the problem myself. I don't think you can do that, if you have two default gateway on 1 adapter, then the obvious solution is to lower one of the metric but this isn't the case for you since you want both to be 30 but still use a particular one. I don't know if the order of the default gateway will matter in this situation.

Here's where I'm reading it from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0903.mspx

Read the part about the "Dead Gateway Detection" also. This is the thing that probably cause it to keep switching.

I guess what M$ was saying is that in Windows XP when there are multiple default route in the routing table with the lowest metric, TCP/IP for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 uses the default route corresponding to the adapter that is the highest in the binding order. You can view this order by going to Control Panel/Network Connection. Select the Advanced menu on the top and select Advanced Setting. The binding order is listed in "Adapters and Bindings" tab. Not sure if this is it, but since a default gateway and default route are two different things use interchangeably

I don't know if you should do this but you can disable the "Dead Gateway Detection" feature for the TCP/IP.

Open up your registry, make sure you back up the registry first by going to File-Export.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\*

* Being the right folder under it, you can tell which one is the interface by the IP information listed in them. You'll see the entry EnableDeadGWDetect. Set the value data to 0 to disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom