windows & Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwill040

Baseband Member
I purchased a laptop from ebay, it didnt come with a cd drive.

I need to install windows on it, as it didnt come with an operating system.

I have both Windows 98 CD and XP professional. Is it possible to create a setup/installation disk that runs of the floppy. I have a load of floppies so the number of disks dont matter.

Or possibly get some networking going so i can install from my local network?

Thanks guys for any help

if you lived near me i'd do it for u with my ris server, but that takes a lot of time and an extra computer that can handle it and it'd take a long time to explain, google RIS.

why not get a usb cd drive? or if it has a slot for a drive get one for it, you going to eventually want a cd drive anyway most likely.

I am going to get a cd drive for it.
If the laptop doesnt have an operating system then i wouldnt be able to access a USB cd drive?
Or could i?

Depends, was the laptop made within the last 2-3 years? If it was then it probably will be able to. I've used USB floppies and such to boot from as well as flash drives, so this should be the same type of thing.

there a few way to do it. put the hdd in another laptop and put windows 98 or me on it (it would be better if you use the xp disc to make 2 fat32 partition ,but only install the os on one of them).

then set up the other partition. copy the windows xp contents onto the second partiton

then switch it back. you can swap hardware with those OS (especially me)

you can now either upgrade me to xp or do I new xp install on the second partition (you can choose to change the fat32 to nfts too).

in you install xp to the second partition, delete the c partition when you are done. format it as ntfs. now install xp to that drive as a new install and delte the second partition when you are done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom