esd?...wrist strap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankbandit

Baseband Member
how often do techs actually use their anit static wrist straps?
i heard its not used for everything such as installing pci cards and the like. my question is when should u use it without looking like a rookie who doesn't know better?
thanks

actually you should use it ANYTIME working on electrical components. PCI cards susceptable to ESD, too. You can ground yourself also by touching metal, though. Just touch the metal first and then (many think you can just grab something after) the component WHILE touching the metal. Dont remove your ground until you've touched the electrical part. Also, dont work on carpeting. Best thing to work on is a rubber mat.

Always discharge static whenever dealing inside your comp. Anything with a PCB can be shocked into oblivion.

Maintain constant contact with the metal part of the case or get a wristband. If you do heavy work get a mat. End of story.

Anti-static wrist strap? Never. Unless youre working for Dell, Gateway, HP, etc, where it's mandatory and just another hoop to jump through.

In reality, though, just use common sense. Ive built about 2 dozen computers in my lifetime and never had a problem. Just dont run around the house scuffing your bunny slippers on the carpet beforehand and you should be fine.

Then again, I am an idiot. *grins*

Blade

As I said in the last post that asked this question:

A smart person can avoid it, a smarter person protects against it.

Do yourself a favor and pitch $30 for a mat. Risking thousands of dollars worth of hardware isnt worth relying upon "common sense" in my book.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS, WITHOUT QUESTION USE YOUR WRIST STRAP.................

Now, with that being said, I have never used one in my life, built many a computer, worked on possibly hundreds, and people putting magnets on the side of their cases give me more problems than the static I generate.....take it for what it's worth.

I have a full Aluminium case and I wear a T-Shirt when installing anything to do with computers (because I normally get annoyed and overheated) and my arms normally touch the PSU case or odds are something metal.

I personally don't worry about it as much as I used to, but out of habbit I touch something metal anyways.

... I do have an anti-static wrist band somewhere...

I never used one before :eek:, always been very careful (and lucky :D ). But, I just ordered one from B. G. Micro... 3$ is a very cheap insurance! ;) (They also sell a regular wrist strap without goodies, same price though. :/ )

They connect to your wrist, and clip on to metal of the case with a wire, kinda like a phone cord. A little pesty, but it makes you feel safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom