CPU FSB not know, what MB FSB to use to test it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavy D

Beta member
Hi

I have a latop that won't boot or freezes so I want to test the CPU, which is an Athlon XP-M 1600+ processor, on another socket A motherbord desktop system I have.

The problem is that I don't know whether CPU is an FSB 200 or 266 version, and I'm concerned about damaging the destop system that I want to test it in. The numbers and letters printed on the CPU are illegible.

The motherboard that I want to test it on is an Asrock K7S8X...
http://www.asrock.com/product/K7S8X.htm

In the motherboard's product specifications it say that it takes the following CPUs:
- Socket 462 , supporting AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron
- FSB 333/266/200 MHz

1) Am I OK to test a mobile Athlon CPU in this motherboard?

2) As I don't know the FSB of the CPU, is it safer to set the motherboard to 200 or 266 FSB?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks fot taking the time to read my post.

Dave

Hi Turtile

Unfortunately, I can't CPU-Z on the laptop, as I can't get it booted up.

I can run it on the desktop to read the CPU when I've put it in there but, like I mentioned above, I want to know whether it's ok to put a mobile Athlon into the desktop's motherbard, and what FSB it is safest to set the motherboard to before I do.

Thanks.

Dave

The 1600+ is 266 if it is socket A and labeled Athlon XP-M.

If its labeled Mobile Athlon XP it could be 200.

I don't know if it will work or not.

A poster in another forum suggested ArctiClean, to clean up the surface of the CPU which has worked a treat.

I've found the part number now, and so have found out that it was a Mobile Athlon 4 1600+, which has an FSB 200.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help out.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom