boot without a cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a PC boot up without a CPU!!! Ok fair enough he may not know all that much, but to point this out to the fella that posted that question. All information in a PC including how to boot is sent to the processor, hence, its needed for the PC to even start.

:p

You know I'm not actually looking for it to boot as in an actual system boot but just to turn on, run the fans...stuff like that.

I spent last night putting together my pc and have no conroe, but need to test out my airflow! That's all I needed. But I was wondering if without a cpu, if it would "disallow" any electrical flow or not. So does it? Of course new and old cases, mbs, and psus...I'm thinking about pulling one of the cpus in my computers I have at home just to see.

:eek:

feh, people who claim to know more than others often don't. hehe

ok, so I answered my own question with an actual attempt...but of course on an old computer and unsure if they still operate the same way.

But for anyone else curious, your case fans will power up and work without the cpu ;p

But you asked if it could boot, and people said no. Not if they fans would still turn on and such.

No it won't post, no it won't boot, but the fans might turn on. You can buy a psu tester that will give you that effect too. Boot has to do with the begining to load an OS, and is way past turning on fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom