AC for a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
well i haven't looked into it hardly at all as to costs, efficiency or how much electricity it would take to run it but...i work in a video/furnature combo store (i know it's messed up to have both sets in one store.)

anyways i got to thinking...i could buy a cheapo fridge and use the cooling system for that as something to model it after and then if it's small enough put it inside a full tower case. I don't actually think it'd work but just think of what it'd be like if it did. lol

i was basically just thinking of if it'd work to take freon out of an old refridgerator and put it into a liquid cooling stystem. comments plz.

its poss and been done, very eefective, ju st have to be carful of the refriderants

b1gapl said:
....and also the condensation?

ooohhh i didn't even think of that.

BTW are you guys refering to freon in liquid cooling or just the components cooling the air that way?

First off, you cant just pour freon into tubing, you have to pressurize it, Also, condensation will be everywhere (i.e. water in your comptuer = NOT GOOD).

What your talking about is called phase change cooling and is essentially like this:

freon (which boils at a LOW temperature (compared to H2O)) runs throught the pipe and as it heats up, turns into a gas (boils) the gas runs to a compressor which compresses the gas back to a liquid form. This is an over simplified explanation, but its what phase change does.

Everything is based on the Pressure/Temprature/Volume model.

There are phase change cooling kits out there if you look for them. expensive buggers though.

ok thanks toxic. that helps. i figured that there'd be something out there but i didn't know what it'd be called or anything. anybody ever used one or heard of one being used and OCing w/ one in the system?

i bet you could OC like crazy w/ that in there.

b1gapl said:
What do you guys think of this?
http://www.crazypc.com/products/938200.html
Cheaper then Phase Change, but I bet it's still good.....brings temps below the ambient temp of the room, it says.

That uses Peltiers to cool the liquid. From the few reviews I have seen, it does the job nicely, but I think that the tubes are a bit small, and the results would not be anywhere close to the phase change. I would guess it would perform the same as a ~$300 WC kit.

Lemme find the review...

yeah that's really expensive but i can't expect such a thing to be cheap. and something that i'm talking about would have the liquid well below room temp. not just below. i'm talking like 5-10C or below before it gets to Heatsinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom