S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyisnt

Beta member
It's possibly that nobody will know what I'm looking for as it's kind of particular, but I figure it's worth a shot....

Most of the time when a hard drive's SMART status goes bad, that means your drive is taking a dump on you and to back stuff up and get yourself a new one...I know that. We had a HDD go on us about 6 months ago...the computer it was in is running all fine and dandy with a new one and all is good. The problem is...I have a 160 HDD sitting around and I REALLY want to use it. Samsung won't replace it because it was sold as part of a system...Emachines won't replace it because they're lame.

I want to know, what PHYSICALLY went wrong with this drive so I could maybe tear into it and repair it on my own. You can find junk drives for a dime a dozen if you look good enough, so if I could figure out what actually inside the drive **** out on me I could probably take that out of another drive and get this one up and running again. I only plan on using it as an "archives" drive (keeping all of my cd's, dvd's, etc, backed up on) and would only be plugged in when I need to get something off of it. As it is now, it is detected and sort of works, but it takes FOREVER to do anything and pretty much at any time could take a dive and stop working all together.

So...anyone?

Hello,

If SMART has reported that there is an error with the drive, then you're going to have to replace it.

Unless eMachines have specified a warranty or service agreement with you which is still valid, then unfortunately you'll have to buy a new hard drive.

Um, You Can't Repair Harddrives, At least not in your House.
Your Need a level 10 Clean room to Even open a Harddrive.

(Remember that from my A+ Cert Book)

if the SMART function continuiously detects an error it is time to look for a new drive

don't overestimate youself on problems like that, even if you know extensive knowlege about it, you cann't just do it at home you need special equipents, sure you can open the case but you'll contaminate the inside not to mention you can break the the plata easily and if you loose one of the screws and misaligned the the platas then boom, get ready for some big bucks for proffessional recovery.

it is easy
tell me what is your harddsik's model
reset the SMART modul ,that is ok

much problem with the harddisk is its firmware was damage or lost ,we should use the special tools to re-write the model .
the famous tools is pc3000 ,hrt

some one said :you Can't Repair Harddrives, At least not in your House.Your Need a level 10 Clean room to Even open a Harddrive.

it is wrong ,most the case ,you don't need open the harddisk to fix it.

www.hddfirmware.net

What you want to do is posible but you need one of the same model, and capacity. BUT, to open it up you need to build an acrylic box, make two holes and glue a pair of yellow gloves people use to clean around the house. Be sure to have the interior of the box clean. Then, put inside both drives and open them up. You need to be in a place with not to much of light drives are light sensitive. And hands oil sensitive and any other powder or subastance that's what the box is for.

like smart status bad ,or head dead ,or the harddisk can not be detect ,sometimes ,only need reset the smart module data ,or re assign the heads amount of the harddisk(like your 40G harddisk with 2 heads ,now ,one of its heads was damage ,you can use special tools(it is no need to open the harddisk ,what you should do just edit the firmware ) to cut the bad head.

most the case like your harddisk can not be detected by the bios ,casue the harddisk's firmware was lost .

of course ,sometimes ,you want to save the data ,really ,you must open the harddisk ,like change the head of the harddisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom