Broken Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khanate

Solid State Member
Hi I'm having trouble with my computer, I strongly think it is my video card but would like to have outside opinions on the matter before doing a purchase.

It all started yesterday when I opened my computer "your video card power cord is not connected please re-connect it" I look its connected. I shut down, deconnect reconnect. It works.

I wake up today open the thing, same darn thing.

I go to deplug replug I hit a small piece. Falls off (OK i know... its most likely this but would like if you continue reading anyways in case the current problem is something else)

Open the computer anywayz.

The screen is black with lines /redgreen/blue in a repetitive pattern across the screen.

Could it be something else than my video card?

Hello,

What cable are you unplugging and plugging back in? The VGA cable for your monitor?

Also, what is it that fell off, and from where?

The power supply cable that goes to my video card.

I am using a sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128 mb AGP by the way.

The piece is close to where the connector for the power supply is, not even an inch away, if you need more info on the precise location I can try to find a picture of my graphic card and locate the broken piece on it.

As far as the looks of the pieces goes. Its a black squared piece with 9 things sticking out (3 rows of 3) that are about as high as the bottom is wide. The width, height and length is about 3/8th of an inch of half a centimeter.

Under there is a white glue'ish thing that seems to hold the piece i described above to a piece that is black and flat with 2 white square on it.

Probably not that descriptive...

The connector is white and in the back of my video card by the way.

Does that mean its possible its also my PSU for the first problem that happened to me?

Because when i boot my PC it doesnt seem to be staled and the screens change at regular intervals which are similar in timing as to when the screen changes when I boot my PC normally.

Khanate said:
As far as the looks of the pieces goes. Its a black squared piece with 9 things sticking out (3 rows of 3) that are about as high as the bottom is wide. The width, height and length is about 3/8th of an inch of half a centimeter.
[/B]
ya , are you talking about one of the chips that was on the board, if 1 of those fell off its a paperweight now

ya its trash if that fell out there is nothing you can do to fix it its broken. most likley a RAMDAC chip or digital data converter its screwed start shopping .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom