never heard of this mobo problem before....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxincubass311

Beta member
I've searched several forums and googled the problem, i can't find a solution.

I built a barebones system a month ago, i got everything working fine. One day, my computer wasn't completely sealed (half of the tower was removed) i tripped and fell onto my computer table, and a huge CRT monitor fell and hit the inside of my computer system.

After the accident, when i turned the computer on, only the green light on the mobo would light ... nothing would start/spin.

After playing with the parts, changing all varibbles, i found that with everything connected (minus the 4-prong cable that goes from power supply to mobo) the heatsink will spin.

This is where i'm at now... i press power, the fan spins, everything looks good... then i try to plug in the 4-prong cable from my PS to my mobo...the second a connection is made, i see sparks, and the heatsink fan stops.

Is it the mobo or the power supply that i need to replace? any ideas?

here's the components (it was a package deal from TD.. i'm not much of a PC builder...)

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / OEM / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor

Intel D101GGCL ATI Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard

Intel Original Socket 775 Prescott Cooling Fan

ULT30100 Ultra Memory Aluminum Cooler (DDR or SDRAM) BLACK

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory

Ultra / V-Series / 400-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / Power Supply

Ultra Wizard MS-Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Firewire Ports

Yes, i'm plugging the 4-pin in with the PC turned on. If i plug in the 4-pin connector before I i try to boot, when i press the power button I get no reaction... just the green light on the mobo (which is on as long as power supply is plugged in).

rxincubass311 said:
Yes, i'm plugging the 4-pin in with the PC turned on. If i plug in the 4-pin connector before I i try to boot, when i press the power button I get no reaction... just the green light on the mobo (which is on as long as power supply is plugged in).

...:freak: don't. You're short circuiting your PC. This can cause damage to components and there's the risk of creating a fire.

Always ensure that no power is going through the power supply unit, before you plug or unplug any components or cables inside your PC.

Turn your PC off, then reconnect the 12v 4 pin power connector to the motherboad. Also ensure that all RAM modules are firmly in the DIMM slots, and that all PCI and AGP cards (or any other cards) are firmly plugged into the motherboard. Also make sure that all cables are properly connected (including any header cables (for power switch & status lights), ATX power cables and IDE / SATA cables.

Next, try clearing your BIOS CMOS by removing the lithium battery on the motherboard for a minute or so, then place it back in and try powering up the system.

ok from what i understand, it sounds like the case of ur pc was open, and a crt went into the case and hit some stuff...if im right, then it hit ur cpu, one of ur cards, or ur ram and broke it, making something not work, and sounds like now the whole thing is fried. the pc needs the 4 pin 12volt atx power connectror connected in order to run. if nothing happens when it is connected, and something does when it aint, you may have a fired ps, but if that happened to me, i aint rich, but i would get a new ps, mobo, processor, vid card, and ram...good luck

thanks guys.

yesterday i took apart each component and put everything back together... same problem... i even took the 6 prong power supply plug, and plugged it into the mobo and had the same problem...

it's as if that part of the mobo can't receive a signal because nothing will budge when something plugs into it.

i also tryed reseting bios by removing the battery as well, no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions before i spend150 on a new power supply and mobo (which is probably pretty cheap i know, but it's a lot for me), it would be well appreciated.

if you plugged the power into the mobo while the computer was on chances are your mobo is fried now but quiet frankly for doing that in my opinion you really asked for it, i think its time for electronics 101 for you

what i learned from my high school electronics teacher "if you shake it moe den twice, you pullin it." I wish i could take electronics 1001, but my scholarship doesn't go past 4 years.

Any idea how to test individual components? Plug and play in my existing outdated computer? anything else? i'd appreciate anyhting leading me in a certain direction, i don't expect anyone to write me a how to book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom