Memory detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChamp

Baseband Member
Hi folks,

I just installed some memory in a friend's laptop but Windows XP doesn't seem to be picking up on the new amount.

Funny thing is, this problem was there before -- I'll explain.

He has a compaq laptop with a celeron processor (not sure of the speed, but I can find out). He purchased it about 3 months ago and it included 256 MB Ram, but Windows only detected 196 under its "properties" listing.

I added a stick of 512 last week and now Windows says its running on 444 MB of Ram.

So, what gives? I tried running an Everest diagnostics program and it also showed 444, but listed each separate stick as 256 and 512 respectively.

Any answers to this mystery/quandry would be most appreciated!

John

, some of the ram is being used for the onboard graphics,im assuming hes using onboard graphics

If 64mb is being utilized, shouldn't it read that it has about 700mb (i.e. 512 + 256 - 64)?

Just curious.

it should read about 704MB of RAM if its using onboard graphics with allocated memory, only thing i can think of is that one of the sticks isn't the full amount as it should be

If your running it in dual channel, the big stick can only utilize the space of the smaller stick in order to work. It has to run single channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom