Computer Died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretsexyninja

Solid State Member
Okay, I am not sure what happened, so i just need a little help on the course of action i should take. I was gaming on my PC (room is a little hot.. id say the box was around 98 degrees F), and i smelled this burning smell of plastic or rubber. It was pretty faint butn then my computer immediately powered off. It was like something popped.

I disconnected the PC took it downstairs and found a lot of dust in it. I totally cleaned it out, brought it back upstairs and it wont turn on at all now. Like, ill hit the power button and i can tell everything starts to boot up for like a split second, then it stops. Any ideas on what got fried? I'm sure its not my video card, sound card, etc cuz it has to do with power. Could it be my power supply? Maybe (hopefully not) my mobo? I am totally broke right now, so taking it to a repair shop is pretty much out of the question. I know how to install hardware etc. all of that is easy and have been doing that for a few years... finding the source is my challenge cuz nothing is turning on. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance and if you have any questions or need more info let me know.

that pop was the powersupply no doubt replace it and hope it didnt fry your mobo

ok first off did it even make it through post(that single beep). Open up your computer, use a flashlight and look around for exploded, leaking capacitors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Start with the motherboard, then goto powersupply, but don't open the power supply unless its out of warrenty. Don't touch anything inside the powersupply. Probably your powersupply, but it could have overloaded something on the motherboard when it went.

no, i do not recollect it beeping at all. I am going to open it up and check out those capacitors and then ill post a follow up on it. I'm pretty sure the PC is out of warranty.. i have had it for over two years and I'm not one to buy expensive or lengthy warranties.

ha first your pc shut down because it hits the temperature threshold, but you said you smelt some burning plastic, and now that's some serious problem. test each component individulally to zoom on the problem.

Most quality hardware will have a 3 year warrenty, but then again it usually doesn't blow up either. Warrenty you get out of PC shops arn't worth the paper its writen on. Its mostly likly your PSU, it should list the watt rating on the side of the psu. How much money can you spend to fix your computer?

yup, i am pretty sure it is my power supply... all of the capacitors on the MOBO look fine, the powersupply has one that looks slightly bloated at the top with just a little spot of brown so i am going to replace the power supply and see if that fixes it... thanks!

ya if you hear a pop like that there is no doubt its the powersupply especially the burning smell. we actually had a powersupply explode in class last year it was extremely loud :)

i do have some money (around $100) for a new powersupply. The one I have is Aspire Turbolink Switching Power Supply

Model: CL - A420ATX 12V

My mobo is the Albatron KX18D Pro Is there a specific powersupply i should buy?

Voltage 115/230V.......Current 10A/5A.......Frequency 60/50HZ
+3.3___+5___+12......-12___-5__+5SB......BLK___GRN____GRY
28A___40A___18A......1.0A__1.0A__3.0A....COM__P-ON___PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom