Weird Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binman

Beta member
Hi,

Ive been having a strange problem with my pc for the past month now and for the lfie of me i cant figure out whats wrong with it as everything seems fine.
The problem is that when I play a certain game (rainbow six: raven shield) which is not very system demanding, I get perfectly smooth play at the highest quality in an empty server or in single player with no enemies on screen. At this time I would be getting well over 150fps and no stuttering. When i do meet a few enemies, either in single or multiplayer (so it aint a connection issue), my fps can drop below 20 at times and its pretty much unplayable.
My pc is more than capable of running this game:

P4 2.8Ghz
nVidia 6600gt 256mb
1Gb ddr ram
and a 500W psu.

It even played fine before i upgraded to :

the 6600gt from an old fx 5200,
1gb instead of 512mb ram
and 500w psu from a 250W.

I upgraded the graphics card and ram in april and it has played perfect since then up to about the beginning of july...and I only added the psu recently trying to fix the problem so I know its nothing to do with the upgrade itself...

The only overclocking I ever did with the card was back in april when i got it and i havent overclocked it since... when I did overclock it the temp never rose more than 50 anyway...

I have run numerous diagnostics on my pc to find out if it is a hardware related issue, both the windows ram test and "memtest" finding no problems with my ram and my original Dell diagnostic cd found no problems with anything, not did sisfot sandra pro find any problems either...

Thinking it mite have been the card at fault, i switched back to my fx5200 which was deifnitely not damaged or ever overclocked, and i got the same problems of having a high expected fps in an empty game but really low when i meet anyone.

I have reformatted numerous times to try and solve this issue and yesterday reinstalled xp, installed all my needed drivers and the only other install i performed was the game but still i got the same probs, so i dont think its a software/conflict issue either.

hmm i also didnt change anything in my system before this occured and all my drivers were up to date. (i have tried numerous graphics drivers but they all bring the same problems) and my bios are up to date too.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to include everything (tho ive probably left out some info)
If anyone can offer anymore advice or suggestions I would appreciate it :) and if you need me to post a dxdiag or anything just tell me ;)

Thanks!

You might be expecting to much. since it only happens when other enemy enter the picture. if you have shadows on and high textures etc. your fps will deff drop when it goes from drawing that stuff on nothing to drawing it 10 things.

What i would suggest droping everything to low quality 800x600 maybe less, drop the textures to low and have no shadows on the enviroment or ppl. and see if you problem occurs still with enemys. and then we'll move from there.

no the game used to work fine with all settings maxed even with my old card. and i was playing oblivion and fear at medium quality fine too not long ago.

this is whats annoying me, i know my system can run the game perfectly but at the moment it just wont.

edit: ive tried it with even 640 x 480 and all settings dropped to the minimum even from within the games config files but it still happens.

could it be a heat issue? maybe your temps are getting to high and can cause lag in games.

mmmmm 6600gt has a power hookup doesn't it? Does the driver say it has power and nothing is wrong? Did you update your drivers to the latest after you formated? Maybe check all your graphics settings, not just in game settings. Maybe something got wedged to full on that shouldn't normally be on. As a last resort, use some older nvidia drivers.

Thanks for the replies..

brady said:
What is the difference between now and when you were able to play the game perfectly?

By perfectly I mean i had a constant high frame rate no matter what happened in the game.

King X13 said:
could it be a heat issue? maybe your temps are getting to high and can cause lag in games.

ive monitored the temps with everest (they were normal) and also tested by leaving the computer off for hours to let it cool completely, then turning on and starting the game only to have the same issues instantly, even though none of the hardware has had enough time to overheat. so its not overheating.

Sui said:
mmmmm 6600gt has a power hookup doesn't it? Does the driver say it has power and nothing is wrong? Did you update your drivers to the latest after you formated? Maybe check all your graphics settings, not just in game settings. Maybe something got wedged to full on that shouldn't normally be on. As a last resort, use some older nvidia drivers.

yep it requires extra power connected to it and thats working fine. ive pretty much tested all the most recent nvidia drivers and i always check the settings and turn them to the lowest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom