Hard Drive(?) Problems. Please Help! Im lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not the harddrive, I dont think you even need a harddrive to enter the repair console.

My guess is either your PSU is on the way out or perhaps theres is a problem with the RAM or CPU.

try and rum memtest86, then atleast we can rule out the RAM.

Edit: Probably best not to rule out the harddrive, check out the manufacturers website for a diagnostic program that you can run from floppy and try that.

Well i have 2 512mb sticks of RAM. Do you think they both could have gone bad?
My lap top doesn't have floppy disk, so i gotta go to someones house to download it onto a floppy, so ill try that when i can.

I take it you've tried with either of the two sticks by itself and in different slots?

Might be worth using your girl friends PSU to rule out yours playing up.

yea. bad ram...i had same prob, standby and all..just get new ram, maybe upgrade and get a couple gigs ^_^...but yea ram is bad, ittl get to starting windows and freeze, i went to a diff pc and installed windows on my hdd using that, put it back in mine, and WHAM, bsod, so i took out a stick of ram, and it worked...sad part is that that was a sign that my ps was goin out(the 3v or whatever line was almost at 4) and that fried my mobo, cpu, ram, vidcard, so i rma'ed the vid card, they gave me a new one, the ram i tossed, im keepin the cpu and mobo for some reason, maybe because i still think there is a hope of bringing it back to life, so maybe you should get a multimeter and check ur ps

bmxfreakrider said:
yea. bad ram...i had same prob, standby and all..just get new ram, maybe upgrade and get a couple gigs ^_^...but yea ram is bad, ittl get to starting windows and freeze, i went to a diff pc and installed windows on my hdd using that, put it back in mine, and WHAM, bsod, so i took out a stick of ram, and it worked...sad part is that that was a sign that my ps was goin out(the 3v or whatever line was almost at 4) and that fried my mobo, cpu, ram, vidcard, so i rma'ed the vid card, they gave me a new one, the ram i tossed, im keepin the cpu and mobo for some reason, maybe because i still think there is a hope of bringing it back to life, so maybe you should get a multimeter and check ur ps

I've tried switching and moving my 2 RAM into different configurations. Do you think they both could have went out at the same time? Or do you think there might be a problem with my Motherboard where the RAM connects?

RAM will usually give a BSOD, I think the problem is more likely to lie with the PSU. BUt it could be a tonne of things so we need to narrow down the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom