New AMD Athlon

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDSCOrPiO

Daemon Poster
Two questions.....

(1) I just picked up a Athlon 64 3500+ and a AsRock dual-sata2 mobo, when the comp starts up it runs at 2200mhz but after that it drops to 1000.02mhz, is it cool and quiet technology doing it or is there something else causeing it?

(2) What is RAID??

AMDSCOrPiO said:
Two questions.....

(1) I just picked up a Athlon 64 3500+ and a AsRock dual-sata2 mobo, when the comp starts up it runs at 2200mhz but after that it drops to 1000.02mhz, is it cool and quiet technology doing it or is there something else causeing it?

(2) What is RAID??
(1) What are you using to view your mhz?

(2) Redundant Array of Independent (or inexpensive) Disks; a collection of storage disks with a controller (or controllers) to manage the storage of data on the disks.

Edit: Also view http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

im using cpu-z and central brain identifier

when i do lots it goes back to normal, whats the max i could oc to?

EDIT** how do you use RAID does it require a special tool

the best way to know is OC' it. Make sure you know how to reset defaults before you do though (pull the battery out of your motherboard and do the thing with the CMOS).

AMDSCOrPiO said:
im using cpu-z and central brain identifier

when i do lots it goes back to normal, whats the max i could oc to?

EDIT** how do you use RAID does it require a special tool

RAID is best with same size disks.

Example:

If you have a 80 Gb and a 40 GB and hypothetically the 80 is 10k RPM and the 40 is 7200 RPM, when They are in RAID you will only have 80 gigs of space (40 + 40) Becase it multiplys the smallest drive. Also the 10K rpm would be lowered to 7200 RPM so they would run at the same speed.

:D

RAID can be setup in the BIOS.

if im not using RAID, my 80gb is 7200rpm and my 40 is 5400rpm, is my 80gb running at 7200?

AMDSCOrPiO said:
if im not using RAID, my 80gb is 7200rpm and my 40 is 5400rpm, is my 80gb running at 7200?

Yep. The rpm of drives is independant of each other.

AMDSCOrPiO said:
y would it multiply the smaller drive, i would loose 40gb's.

Depends what RAID You Do For example, If yopu wanted to RAID 1 the two drives your total storage space would only be 40 GB since that is the smallest Drive.

If you were to RAID 0 the two drives your total Space would be only 80 GB, again your smallest Drive is the 40 GB one, so 40 X 2 is 80.

Now you shouldn't RAID those two Drives because they aren't Identical and differ in Speed.

You Could Do JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drives), in which your total Space would be 120 GBs ( 80 + 40) XP would see both drives as One 120 GB one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom