Building water based CPU cooler, need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
I have run into a sudden problem with the CPU fan on my MSI K8N Neo 4 Platnium board with an Athlon 64 3200 CPU.

I have 5 PC's that are going to be mounted in a rack, and I would like to build my own water based CPU cooling system.

The main component that I am looking for is the heat sink block that will fit on this CPU. I would like a heat sink that has attachments for tubing, and clips to snap/mount on the CPU/MOBO.

My question is whether or not there is much difference between the different cooling blocks. I am fairly certain that I can manufactur the circulation/cooling system but would like to purchas a pre-made cpu water-block.

this system will have a good amount of water flowing through it, so I am not needing the top of the line block, as I don't feel that there is much difference between a $20 block and a $100 block (fill me in if there is). My main concern is possible leaking/leakage from the block assembly. I do not want to worry about this.

Can anyone please reccomment a good cooling block and where to get this?

Any and all suggestions/comment are very much appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

I use the Aquaxtreme MP-1

Its universally compatible and a. works very well, and b. is relatively inexpensive at $50 each

I would highly reccomend it!

thank you for your reply! do you use a pre-built system or did you make your own?

Also, do you or anyone else reading this know of any sites/pages/threads where people have made their own cooling system? I would like to make one that is expandable and will work with all 5 of my PC once mounted in a rack.

Any reasons I should not use 1 system for 5 PC, other than the possible failure of the cooling system?

I plan on overbuilding the cooling resivoir and having failsafe backups for power and temp control..

1) No block uses a clip-on mechanism or at least no decent block. I'm pretty sure most if not all blocks are bolted on for better contact

2) Difference between $20 block and $50 block is pretty much engineering quality. Biggest difference is materials, aluminum = cheap = bad thermal conductivity and corrosion, but most $50 use better copper or brass plus they have less resistent flowing of fluid

$50
Dangerden TDX
Switftech MCW6002

$80+
Swiftech Storm

I'm actually building my own water block today... I found an old copper heat sink, going to chop off the fins at my shop, dremel out the base, slap a plexiglass cover on top, and let er rip.

Just about ANY water block you can get, regardless of price, will be better than air cooled. If you are just looking for a silent cooling solution, any of them will work more than fine. If you are wanting to overclock them WAY past what they should be, use the latest Maze series of waterblocks.

Just about ANY water block you can get, regardless of price, will be better than air cooled.[/quote
nope, you can get like a bigwater and a restrictive block like that and compare it with a scythe ninja or other really big heatsink and the air cooling will be much better.

The only good maze waterblock is the maze4 for your GPU, the best block would be a storm block based on a cathar design. I'm pretty sure there's a storm block for both CPU and GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom