Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shando

In Runtime
I know absolutely nothing about overclocking, but I am very interested to find out. Could someone please run me through how to overclock a CPU, GPU and RAM, and what implications, positive or negative, it may have?

Thanks,

~Shando

okay so for your cpu you have a multiplyer, and that multiplys the FSB or front side bus. so say if your multiplyer is 10 and your FSB is 20 you would have a 200 MHz Cpu, so to overclock you can either change the multiplyr or the front side bus. The ideal situation is to change the FSB but unless you have a FX series CPU the multiplyer is locked around 10 or 11 and you cant change it. So the only thinkg to do is to change the fsb, increase by increments of 5 and check stability and repeat. make sure your systemdosnt get to hot either, and you can always increase voltage ifneeded.

as for GPU and ram, the ram is also done in bios by changing the voltage. im to lazy to go into detail but yea, google is more then happy to. The gpu usually come with software to overclock with

The greastest help I founf when learining to overclock was online guides, Just google it and Youll find some very useful information

Does overclocking damage your components in any way, or reduce the life of them? and thanks for the quick replys guys

~Shando

overclock will damage but only if you go too much outa it. if too much vcore is raised not only it'll produce excess heat, it also reduces lifetime.

Shando said:
Does overclocking damage your components in any way, or reduce the life of them? and thanks for the quick replys guys

~Shando
yes, overclocking does reduce lifespan. but not by much, by the time your component would crap out on you because you overclocked it you would have upgradedby then anyways. nobody who would consider overclocking would keep a component that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom