Need some insight on building a gaming rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal313

Baseband Member
I'm pretty new here, I looked around the threads and found some base info for my new machine.

I will have around $2,000.00 to spend, some basic info on my desired outcome are as follows:

-I will be using this computer for gaming (roughly 90% of it's use), the other uses will be burning and DLing with minimal word processing.

-I am looking at keeping it for at least 2 years, so I need it to be able to handle any game i throw at it, even multiple applications at once.

-Looking to use the nvidia 7950 unit, also was looking at the physics cards...

My question to the forum, can you educate me on what other components I should be looking at with my budget and for what I plan on doing? I did a few days of research and I'm still unsure as to what's really necessary vs. what's purely overkill.

Thanks!

show some more info of what you like, amd or intell, ati crossfire or nvidea sli, like dual gpu or perfer just single one, doesn't have anything like monitor, keyboards, mouse and craps like that.

^Useless post o.o^

OK So here goes,

First off this build should hold you 3-4 years easly..

Now, I suggest you wait a bit [like couple more weeks] for conroe to kick into the stores.

Get the Intel Conroe E6600, some nice ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard with chipset 975x or 965p [both works with conroe], an sli edition of course.

Video card, you named it, Nvidia 7950GX2.

Phyics card -NO! ITS UTTERLY USELESS!

RAM: Anything with CAS #4 or #3, DDR 800 [PC2-6400] , I myself would suggest one of these three models:

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 [or same model with C3 in the end]

Mushkin XP2-6400

HDDs- two raptors 150gb in RAID 0 should do you good.

Am I missing anything?

-Jo.

Thanks for the info Yoad, so the physics cards are in the overkill category I take it :confused:

I'll look into the products you listed, I appreciate your help.

Oh and one other thing, for the HD should I be aiming at 7200 or 10k?

man if you plan on doing so much gaming I'd go with a console. Do it man...more ergonomic and effortless (ie., no installing)

:D

physics cards...I'll post on that when I put together my rig! :p

haha nice, but that defeats the purpuse of building a gaming pc in the first place, most people(not all but some) build a killer pc just for bragging rights, others build it just for the heck of it, and some others build it cause they need the preformance, like for some insane multitasking...lol(ive done some pretty bad stuff, ill give ya a link...)here it is, pretty crazy

see i told u, now thats multi taskking(was using everything but sys info , sys prop, and the office apps...all on an aincent p3(rip little hp)

vid sounds good, ram good, the 700 is overkill, id say go with the 580, hdd's good, but, what are you gonna put it in? and definetly wait for the conroe if u got the $$$, i would, but i rather have an amd(see sig), so sounds good if you decide to set it up on your desk, if not u need a case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom