modding a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsavageboy

In Runtime
i bought an am2 socket but im finding that i have limited aftermarket coolers available. i want to use the zalman
but i want it to be blue. soooo, how hard would it be to unsolder the leds and put some new ones on? is it as simple as popping the "prop" off and everything is right there, or are the lights part of the board?

i'm supposing that they are on the board, but i wouldn't know, i have no experiance with the Zalman fans (as of yet)

id just openit up and have a look. But dont try it unless it looks easier than something you have successfully soldered before, because i hear those zalmans are pricey.

yea the problem is i dont have it yet and i dont want to buy it and then be stuck with it. i would rather use the stock cooler than have green in my case :)

I dont think it'd be very easy. The led's are very small and they are inside the fan unit itself. If i were you. Id, if anything, just break the led's in it so you dont have any lighting from it.

Trying to rsolder new ones in is just asking for trouble.

I dont think it'd be very easy. The led's are very small and they are inside the fan unit itself. If i were you. Id, if anything, just break the led's in it so you dont have any lighting from it.

you can only do that if the LEDs you're using have the same spec to the one already in it but most of the stand alone ones out there that you can purchase have the almost the same spec, i mean LEDs are very untolerate to higher voltage and those already in it probably have a resistor to it. so if you don't know how much ohm a resister to use if you need one and how to solder, wouldn't recommend it.

rcsavageboy said:
yea the problem is i dont have it yet and i dont want to buy it and then be stuck with it. i would rather use the stock cooler than have green in my case :)

i want that zalman too lol. buy it and if tyou dont like it ill uy it off you =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom