Too many beeps from the motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeetofClay

Beta member
Can anyone help me its driving me crazy.

Abit NF7-S rev 1.2
AXP 1800
2x512 generic PC2700
450w PSupply
Radeon 9800
XP Home
2xstandard IDE HDD

Has been working like a dream for over a year.
Out of the blue I start getting beep codes from the board, often 2 short followed by at least 6 sometimes more and then lockup of Windows. This usually starts after about half an hour of PC being on and is preceded by a noise of the hard drive being polled quite loudly.

First thing I did was update the BIOS to the latest version, something I had been meaning to do anyway - no change.

I know 2 short beeps mean a CMOS setting error so I reset to fail safe defaults and (after getting bloody XP re-registered) still no change.

I have left the pc in the bios to check the CPU temp and it stayed at about 40 degrees after a short time I got the beeps again.

I have also swapped the ram around and reseated the graphics card.

At times I would not get past the POST with one of the following errors but a reboot would get me in OK.

CPU is missing or unworkable
Detecting IDE drives....

Any ideas gratefully accepted

also if anything was just flashed make sure the bios setting for the processor is correct, and you're not underclocked.

Hmm well the plot thickens...

I tried another power supply last night but it was just the same so I think we can rule that out.
I then had a hunch (mainly cause of this disk pollng sound before the beeps start) and unplugged my dvd-rom, cdrw and slave ide drive leaving only my master hard drive in the first ide channel. Booted and all was well - left it on for over 2 hours with no problem! I then plugged the dvd back into ide2 and again all seems to be well.

The only thing that is screwed is the network connection - green light is on but the nvidia network device does not show anywhere and hence no lan connection but I can only think this must be unrelated.....i reloaded the latest driver bundle which includes network device but no joy. I will just throw a network card in to get around this irritation but has anyone had their network device just dissappear?

My next step is to plug in the other 2 ide devices one at a time and see when it starts complaining.

Has anyone heard of beeps denoting a problem with an IDE device or is this just another bizarre instance in my mad little world of hardware :roll:

(in answer to your suggestions - many thanks folks - I may rebuild the damn thing and splash out on some proper RAM but I hate reseating the processor I always break out in a cold sweat thinking im gonna break it and I'm a bit skint)

Yes I have had the computer do some real weird s@#% such as beeps etc. and I figured out that I had jumpers set wrong on the back of my hard drives. But I'm sure it's nothing so simple as that dor you.

Well it was simple ...or so it seems...I have just left my old CDRW drive unplugged and all is well.
It is about 5 years old and writes at about 2x speed so methinks tis time for a shiny new one

cheers all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom