Is Pentium D 805 Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenTeaBagger

In Runtime
Hmmm. I'm starting to have second thoughts about the decision I made on buying the Pentium D 805. Reading the Toms Hardware article I was set on buying this processor. After Overclocking it to 3.6ghz and running SuperPI I got 38 seconds for 1M. Looking at the SuperPI thread seems like my processor, even at 3.6ghz, doesn't stack up well with the others. For 107 Bucks do any of you think this was a good buy? I just want some assurance as always.

Thanks.

3.6ghz is not very poweful for a single prescott based core. 38 seconds sounds about right to me. superpi is single threaded so will only use one of your processor's cores. when both cores are set to a task it is quite powerful especially for it's price. what you have to remember is that the top 10 list of the superpi thread when i last checked all had either opterons or athlons clocked at 2.6ghz-3.0ghz which as a p-rating (single core p-rating as it is single threaded) of about 4100-5300+. so thinking of them as single cores they would stack up to pentium 4's clocked at between 4 and 5ghz!!!

nitestick said:
3.6ghz is not very poweful for a single prescott based core. 38 seconds sounds about right to me. superpi is single threaded so will only use one of your processor's cores. when both cores are set to a task it is quite powerful especially for it's price. what you have to remember is that the top 10 list of the superpi thread when i last checked all had either opterons or athlons clocked at 2.6ghz-3.0ghz which as a p-rating (single core p-rating as it is single threaded) of about 4100-5300+. so thinking of them as single cores they would stack up to pentium 4's clocked at between 4 and 5ghz!!!

Nitestick...I fikkin love you man/woman! I feel soo much effin better now =p

How did you get it to 3.6? Mine will go to 2.96 without problems then after that it starts doing some weird things so I just leave it.

how come your sig says its O'Ced to 3.8ghz? If it sin't try gettign a better CPUHSF. In my experience there doesn't need to be any voltage increases until 3.7ghz. Its probably the cooling isn't sufficient and the chip turns itself of like a safety feature.

The D 805 isn't too bad.....but the amount of power it consumes put me off.

save the koalas and killer whales and stuff mang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom