Have a SATA hard drive and only IBE cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgollum

Beta member
Have a SATA hard drive and only IDE cables

I bought a hard drive off of Amazon to boost how much data I can have on my computer, and I didn't realize it was SATA. I only have IDE cables. :( Regardless, I spotted something that looks like some type of SATA (I don't know whether it is power or data), but having only seen pictures in online "How to install internal hard drive" tutorials, I wasn't sure. What I need is for someone to tell me whether what I found is used for data with SATA or power with SATA (if either), and basically, what I need to make the SATA hard drive work with my computer. I have a 3-type IBE cable, so it has an extra 40 pin thingy, and I was told such a thing as a IDE to SATA converter existed. I don't even know which is for power and which is for data. Could someone please explain that? Thank you. Sorry for being so lost (I only know what the cables are due to a little independent research).

Visuals, you say? Voila! (I unplugged the the 40 pin thingys so that the view was less obstructed)
Goodquality.jpg

yes thats sata ports
and there are molex to sata power adapters
the smaller one like the ones on you mobo is data the wider one is power

You probally don't need a Molex to SATA adaptor. Most SATA HDD's have a Molex input aswell.

All you need to do to make that work, is go to a local computer store (Radio shack, Best buy, etc) and pick up a cheap SATA cable. Then just plug one end in the mobo, and one end to the HDD, give it some power, and boot up.

The hard drive I have doesn't have a Molex (the 4-pin, right?). It just has SATA data, SATA power, and a jumper (8-pins).

So I can get a cheap SATA cable at any computer store, and that will transfer the data. What about power? Are 40-pin to SATA converters common? Do they even exist? Thanks a bunch everyone.

oops.:eek: I guess I meant IDE. Hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom