Slow DC or Fast SC for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Hey I know this has probably been answered a thousand times over, but would a DC 2.0GHz beat out/match a SC 2.4GHz in gaming? (not multithread).

See conroe is too **** expensive/far away/expensive for me to build. I want SLI too so that would make a conroe mobo like 250...eeeeek.

So basically I'm sticking with AM2, but I am not sure which is better for me....

AMD x2 3800 @ 2.0GHz for $150

VS

AMD 3800 @ 2.4GH @ $110

Both are great deals, but is the slower speed made up for? I've seen benchmarks come awfully close to breaking even with still a large speed difference when comparing DC to SC. I am an avid gamer though and was wondering what would be a better investment, considering the X2 is rather slow.

Could it OC? Trying to justify/decide....Please help or show me some benches. :confused:

go for the dual core you'll be better off in the long run, if you're wanting to overclock it comes down to luck, some chips overclock better than others, but it also counts in stuff like RAM and the motherboard

ya in the future many more games will support dual core, and you will have a advantage then.

I also belive you should be able to OC .4ghz

Maybe I'll go with that then. 3800 X2. It will cost few more $$ but will hold me over until AM3 I guess. (Better beat conroe :rolleyes: )

To my knowledge, AM3 is just going to be Opterons, which will fit into AM2 boards.

That's what I have been told anyway.

Just go with the best dual core you can afford. Processors don't affect gaming as much as graphics cards do anyways. I noticed very little difference in game when moving from my old Athlon 64 3200+ to my newer Opteron 165 @ X2 4200+ speeds.

beedubaya said:
Just go with the best dual core you can afford. Processors don't affect gaming as much as graphics cards do anyways. I noticed very little difference in game when moving from my old Athlon 64 3200+ to my newer Opteron 165 @ X2 4200+ speeds.

lol...

processor do TONS for gaming. It depends on the game.

i had a intel p4 3.0 ghz and got 70 fps and coulndt run on all high in CSS then i got a amd 4000+ and i get 180 fps now. All with the same GFX card too.

Now tell me processors dont do much.

I agree, better beat the conroe, however as it stands (with me at least) until conroe gets out some cheaper Mobo's they are dead in the water to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom