Will XP programs work on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Mr Beans Sidekick
If I get the lastest version of Vista will all my XP programs and games work on it.. like

Photoshop
Nod32
Zonealarm
Halo
Steam
Battlefield
Trillian
Drivers
etc

Or will I have to get all new stuff

NOD32 causes CPU spikes in some cases. Zone Alarm doesnt work. I havent found a Firewall that does. Halo should work without a problem. Steam is kinda iffy. Dont know about battlefield. There is a problem with PunkBuster and VIsta. It doesnt recognize the OS so it thinks you are cheating. Trillian should work as i have used WLM (Window Live Messenger) and GTalk.
Drivers are the biggest problem. Since it is a Beta OS not all companies have made drivers to work with Vista. Some do some dont. It all depends on the hardware.

Hm well the drivers would be for my Geforce gfx card and my intel mobo.

Also my US Robotics wirless network card.

Well which GeForce do you have. My 6800 is supported on install with the Glass effects. The intel driver you should have most of them on install also. You might have to load a couple of them.
The US Robotics i doubt will work. But you can use the disc to install them. Just right click on the setup and go under properties. From there you can use the compatability mode to get them to install under XP SP2. That should install them.

I have a Geforce 6200
The only intel driver I need is my audio one that is built into my mobo. Its a AC'97 or something. Im using soundmax drivers for it I believe.
Im not sure what you mean by the US Robotics thing, I do still have the CD

Would i even need a firewall and antivirus/spyware for Vista? If so could you give me some. I wouldnt imagine there alot of spyware and stuff out for vista?

Also these are the main programs I NEED to use. If theres a big problem with any of them on Vista I wont bother with Vista right now.

Steam
Itunes
Trillian
Word and Powerpoint

Okay with your US Robotice disc. Insert it into the Drive. Dont let the autorun go. Open Computer, not my computer in Vista, and right click on that drive. From there go under the properties menu. Choose the Compatability Tab.

The Properties tab Looks like this. Just click the box for running the application in XP SP2 Mode. The drivers should install fine.

Avast! has been the AntiVirus to use. I have only used the Windows Firewall since i have been unable to find on that will install.

There are drivers out there for the Realtek AC'97 that will work. Just have to download them and install them.

I dont know how well the Steam and iTunes will due. I have had issues running Steam. It starts up the game but then just shuts it down. As for iTunes htere has been reports of problems.

Office and Office 2007 Beta run very well on Vista. I have not personally tried Trillian but i have heard it works just fine.

When Vista is released, I guarantee that everyone will release patches to ensure that their software is fully compatible. I wouldn't worry about it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom