Buying a laptop, have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac07

Solid State Member
Hello,
for starters, I am going to be a senior in high school, and I am in need of a new computer. Because I will be going to college a year from now, I am thinking that a laptop would be the best bet, as I most likely won't have enough $$ to buy a new computer both this year and next. I currently have about $1,500, so I am looking at a mid-low end alienware. My primary use for it would be playing WoW, and general school functions. Now the questions begin:

is alienware a good company? I've heard they have kinda gone downhill since dell bought them.

Second, is IBUYPOWER a good site to buy from? This is a large investment I would be making, and so I want it to work as it is supposed to.

Third, are there any major improvements coming for laptops in the near future? I have heard rumors of DirectX10 for laptops, but I haven't heard when it will be coming out.

Fourth, if I buy a laptop now (I would like it for school), would I be able to upgrade it to Windows Vista and DX10? (i have no idea when either of those come out).

Thanks for your help,
kmac07

Vista is just an operating system, you can put it on your laptop and it will work fine.

If you get it now, your video card won't (and never will, theres a guy here who thinks a firmware update will do it, but he's grossly mistaken) support DirectX 10. If you wait for a year then it will.

I don't like Alienware, nor do I like Dell. I would never give money to a place called "ibuypower.com"

The General said:
Vista is just an operating system, you can put it on your laptop and it will work fine.

If you get it now, your video card won't (and never will, theres a guy here who thinks a firmware update will do it, but he's grossly mistaken) support DirectX 10. If you wait for a year then it will.

I don't like Alienware, nor do I like Dell. I would never give money to a place called "ibuypower.com"

ibuypower is a great company, cyberpowerinc is too.

Dell laptops are the cheapest and the most you can get for your bucks.
Alienware is expensive.

WoW isn't that hardware intensive, so you would be pretty set on anything as long as it doesn't have Intel Integrated graphics.

I wouldn't suggest using a laptop for high end fps gaming. If you want to play Crysis, just build yourself a DX10 desktop next year when its released.

Stay away from Dell/Alienware. I personally suggest a mid to high end HP, because they use AMD processors and Nvidia graphics. Or you could do what the guys above suggested and go custom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom