help with cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdivizion

Banned
i've installed Motherboard Monitor for over a month and have noticed that CPU temperatures seem to hover around 48C and case temperatures seem steady at 25C(i know that's wrong). when the CPU is under a large load(rendering a wave file), it'll only go up to 52C. i know it's a norm temp, but i would like to get it down to the low 40's high 30's. and i would also like to replace the CPU fan because the one that came with my P4 chip, is a little noisy.
i've looked around but i would appreciate also any suggestions on fans or any advice on how to go about this.

thanx.

Well its all in what you can tolerate. Cool and Noise go hand and hand unless you want to mess with water cooling which you have to maintain and if you dont know what you are doing i wouldnt recommend because water and electronics dont mix very well :) Although this is the case you can still find some good cooling equiptment with little noise. Check out a company called Zalman, they make some pretty nice heatsinks that will help cool your equiptment with a moderate fan so you dont have a whole lot of noise. Though if you want temps in the 30's without water cooling then you will need a thermalright heatsink and a 92 mm Tornado fan which will turn your pc into a really cold hairdryer :D

Ya, fans DO tend to make a lot of noise, but like ThirtySixBelow said, it actually depends on the brand that you choose.

Personally, I haven't added any extra fans on my PC, but I will probably begin to add some soon so that when I put in an extra 256mb of RAM and a new RADEON 9800 XT video card, my computer won't melt!!! :D

Anyways, good luck on finding a good fan.....and good luck on finding one that isnt a leafblower!! :D :D :D :D

hahah yea i guess you guys are right. the problem is that my computer is used for sound recording, mixing and mastering, and unfortunately, i don't have an extra room to separate the recording room from the computer, which causes some background noise. i guess i'll have to deal with it. thanx!!!

I had the same problem, sorta. My CPU temp for some odd reason jumped from 43-idle to 48-idle within a few days... i hit 53 after running 3dmark03.. bad stuff.

I took the HSF off the spu, CAREFULLY scraped the Thermal compound off of the heatsink, and re-applied it to the CPU.

I decided to go all out and lap the heatsink (buffing out the surface of the HEATSINK) which can give a much better... "connection" between the proc and the Heatsink.

I wont go into a full tutorial on how to do this, because theres a better one out there. Search on google.... for "Heatsink Lapping" or something similar.

Anyways, after i did this my results were

----------------IDLE----100%LOAD
Before =___-44-45____51-54
After =___39-40____40-41

the results are great. Go try it! I even did this to my vid card weeeee

if you want to go farther, get a good thermal compound like
'arctic silver" or something. i cant afford a 5-10 dollar minor upgrade like that - im always saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom