Building computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thermal compound is applied on the CPU. Then you put the CPU fan over the CPU. The best thermal compond that is out there now is called Artic silver. the 420 watt should be enough. Bacisally the cold cathodes are to make your case look cool if you have a window for it. There very bright. The rounded cables make your case look much neater. So you wont have that huge IDE cable running through ur case.

I would suggest an Antec 430W, or 550W Trueblue power supply. I have had mine for the past year without issue and it has a great reserve power they do not tell you about, plus that cool blue is a great color. The power supply is critical to the sytem as it maintaines the power needed to obtain the speeds, drives, CD-ROMS etc that you would use daily on your machine.

As stated above, do not risk your system and $1000 on a wimpy generic PSU or you will waste all your other components and nothing will work.

Round cables allow more air flow through your box, greatly reducing your system temp and not to mention how cool they look if you have a box with a plexi window.

For a great stable board at only $92, you might consider the Albatron KX18D PRO II. It also allows for very easy overclocking should you ever want to try that out in the future.

Also, do not put your processor and mobo together without Article Silver 5. Do not use that stuff that comes in the mobo box, it has an extremely low rating and will not cool your processor very well. The AS 5 compond is put between the processor chip and the heatsink. Check their web site http://www.articlesilver.com for a complete tutorial on how to apply the compond to your CPU properly. Comes with photos so you can visually see what to do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

natattack said:
I would suggest an Antec 430W, or 550W Trueblue power supply. I have had mine for the past year without issue and it has a great reserve power they do not tell you about, plus that cool blue is a great color. The power supply is critical to the sytem as it maintaines the power needed to obtain the speeds, drives, CD-ROMS etc that you would use daily on your machine.

As stated above, do not risk your system and $1000 on a wimpy generic PSU or you will waste all your other components and nothing will work.

Round cables allow more air flow through your box, greatly reducing your system temp and not to mention how cool they look if you have a box with a plexi window.

For a great stable board at only $92, you might consider the Albatron KX18D PRO II. It also allows for very easy overclocking should you ever want to try that out in the future.

Also, do not put your processor and mobo together without Article Silver 5. Do not use that stuff that comes in the mobo box, it has an extremely low rating and will not cool your processor very well. The AS 5 compond is put between the processor chip and the heatsink. Check their web site http://www.articlesilver.com for a complete tutorial on how to apply the compond to your CPU properly. Comes with photos so you can visually see what to do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

550 is over kill. 430 is plenty for that. Also, stick with ASUS. Ask anyone on the forum and most of them will tell you ASUS is the way to go. I have a 550 watt PSU but the only reason is becuase my water cooling is hooked up on it and it uses ALOT of power. Just dont buy a generic PSU like he said. This kid i know got a 420 watt generic PSU and it lasted him for about a month. But if you do want to go and get a 550 watt PSU, make sure it has 2 fans on it now 1. 550 watt PSU is very powerful and it needs proper cooling for it. I have the ASUS TRUEPower 550 watt and i love it.

Monster00 said:
550 is over kill. 430 is plenty for that. Also, stick with ASUS. Ask anyone on the forum and most of them will tell you ASUS is the way to go. I have a 550 watt PSU but the only reason is becuase my water cooling is hooked up on it and it uses ALOT of power. Just dont buy a generic PSU like he said. This kid i know got a 420 watt generic PSU and it lasted him for about a month. But if you do want to go and get a 550 watt PSU, make sure it has 2 fans on it now 1. 550 watt PSU is very powerful and it needs proper cooling for it. I have the ASUS TRUEPower 550 watt and i love it.

With all of the new components in machines, the price difference for a little more power is really not that much of a stretch. But that is just my opinion of course. Water cooled systems do need a lot of power. What system are you running monster? I've been looking at moving to a water cooled system.

ASUS is a good board, a solid performer and a great recommendation. I took a chance on Albratron and it seems to be paying off. They're going to be a "contender". :)

Some of it comes down to personal preference and spending.

look at my specs in my sig. Aquarius III and im about to get a custom made compressor unit and stuff for a 100 dollars so the glycol in the system will be under 10 degrees. I gotta use glycol and not water becuase its gonn abe running so cold, the water will just freeze.

Err....guess I should have read to the bottom of your sig!

I'll have to chat with you off topic about your cooling system. Sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Whoa, a lotta good replies here!

Well, I added on the Antec 430W power supply, and the arctic silver thermal compound. I think I'm good to go now, I will probably end up ordering the setup late next week. I'll add round cables and the cathodes at a later date when I have some more money. I still need to buy an LCD monitor, but until then, I have a 2 year old sony crt flat screen to use. Feel free to add any suggestions until then!

When taking the 420W power supply out of the case, will the Antec go in with no problems?

-Rick

yes it should go in no problem. Its always good to put in good parts to eliminate any possible problems. Yes i was gonna say artic silver origanlly but i couldnt remember name. ITs good stuff. Apply a little glob in the middle and smear it around with a plastic bag on your finger so you dont get grease or anything then make sure you dont get it in the whole if you just a lil pin to get it out. ITs reall simple just take your time while your assembling you computer. You can spend some extra time routing your wires behind the motherboard and behind things so you cant see them. like for instance the only cables you see in my case are the 3 uv round ide cables. For those loook on ebay they have kits for 5 bucks with 2 dual ide cables and 1 floppy which is what you need. The cold cathodes are 12" light sticks that you can mount on the inside of your case to make it lighted inside. They are really slick and comin in green, blue, red, and other colors but i know the green abd blue look good however i use red ones and they are pink but whatever. Make sure when installing the motherboard that you put all the correct screws in. Which is the risers with the little paper washers, then you put motherboard in and then the screws go into the risers. make sure when you push in video card or pci cards and the memory that they are in all the way. hope this helps

Lately, I've had a few friends start talking me into an AMD processor, but I have no idea what to look for in them. Any input for something comparable to a P4 3.0C?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom