Hard drive confusion. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max2559

Baseband Member
Hi and thanks for taking the time to see if you can help me!

Im currently building a comp that i hope will last at least 5 years before it needs replacing. Here is my plan:

AMD 4600 dual core,
Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe,
Asus EN7600GS 512MB PCIe,
Quiet tech 450 PSU,
1 GB DDR2 PC2 8000 Ballistics (Will buy more when i can)

Hard drive..... ? ? ?

I have an 250GB ATA at the mo... and i know i can get an adapter. However i dont want to waste the performance of these new parts by having to use a slow HD like mine.

Was thinking 36GB Raptor 10000rpm 16MB cache SATA-150 as the system drive and using the 250 with and adaptor for storage. (until i can afford a big sata).

My confusion lies in the types of SATA and what motherboards they will attach to... will this 36GB Raptor SATA-150 plug into the M2N32 ?
Not sure about RAID and so on... need some basic words of advice!

Thanks again for your time,
Max

Of course it will...the mobo you have, has SATA ports. I don't see why it wouldn't. Pretty much all current mobos have SATA ports.

Thanks for replying,

Just wanted to know what Sata II and SATA-150 and SATA-300 are and if there is any difference in what boards they attach to.

I suspected that this just implied the speed of the drive, but that the attachment was the same on all SATA drives.

Thanks
Max

I think SATA II and SATA-300 (you mean SATA 3.0gb/s) are the same. Theres no difference in what boards they attach to...it's not the speed of the drive, it's just the speed of transfering files I think.

Hard drives will spin at a rate of 5400, 7200 (standard), or 10,000 RPM the 10,000 are high end models like the raptors. I doubt that most people will see much of a difference. The Sata 3.0Gbps transfers data from the hard drive to the motherboard at a rate of 3.0 Gbps. (Giga bits not bytes)

Max, that ATA (IDE) hard drive you have will connect to that motherboard WITHOUT any adaptors... just use the standard IDE ribbon (or rounded) cables.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom