Windows ME... Explorer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
I'm repairing a friends computer. First I used all the latest definitions for Spybot and Adaware and wiped out about 500 instances of spyware, then I scanned using updated AVG definitions and removed 80 viruses. I hooked up my wireless to access the access point for the internet. The PC freezes, sometimes the screen turns black, on time I got a blue screen saying something about an error with explorer. If the router is not plugged in the USB, it never happens, nor does it while in safe mode. If it is plugged in, it doesn't matter if it's IE or any explorer window the PC freezes up. I tried uninstalling IE6 and components in Add/Remove, but there was an error so, no such luck. Any help would be great!

Its windows ME, soooo are the crashes more or less frequent then normal? PS ME's major down fall was that MS made it more difficult for users to fix problems that poped up....... and ohhh boy did they pop up, running ME is like alpha testing, you do it on someone elses computer. Reinstall, if you don't have the disk, buy XP, if you can't run XP, buy win2k(its cheap now), can't run win2k, buy win98se.

BTW this is hardware troubleshooting, so you might want to ask a mod to move it to software windows sections.

Yea, sorryu bout that. I wasn't sure where to post this question, I do have Win 2k, which is the closest thing to Win ME. Everything works fine except Explorer crashes when I have the router hooked up. Oh well I might just have to reinstall.

I LOVE MELINNEUM!!! thats the worst os ever...thats how i make my money!! i help out at a pc shop, and ive been on me since it came out,(till i got xp, last month) and can fix almost nething with it...ok what happened is a virus attacked explorer.exe, and infected it...now antivirus cant touch explorer.exe because its read only, and yea, so to fix it, you got to get a good exploere.exe from another me system, and replace the one on the one ur havin probs in, but heres the tricky part. because its read only, u have to pull the hdd and do it in another pc. replace explorer.exe, and all should be well, cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom