IDE SATA, are they compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes you can run different types of interface items together, all a matter of and whether your mobo and or any additional interface cards work.

ide is usually on all mbs, and since yours has sata it supports that so no additional interface cards needed. On the drive side you are fine.

as for the 2ghz, you are looking at the front side bus, fsb, which is a minor thing to note, only because it tends to confuse people unneccessarily. Your mobo supports whatever maximum cpu ghz athlon 64 you have (fx and/or x2 of course)

I do noit think you can have SATA and IDE and have them both run at the same time.

if that were the case then SATA would never have taken of seeing as i only know of one manufacturer of SATA optical drives (Plextor) and they are very expensive. there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why you can't use both at the same time. look at my specs, i have 3 hdd's, two of them are SATA and the other is IDE (a.k.a ATA or PATA) and also two optical drives. thats 3 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives so i can assure you it is possible.

don't worry about whatever it said about maximum cpu frequency

lancec2c30 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1621492&sku=A458-2130

Ok this is my mobo, now I think it supports sata correct? I also noticed that in the specs it supports processers up to 2ghz, Now does that mean that my 3500 @ 2.4 ghz is only affective at 2ghz?

Dude. Its listed in the name..... :confused:

ABIT KN8 SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / SLI / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID

I run a Sata raptor, a WD 200 GB caviar, and a IDE 160 GB.

IDE's make perfect slave drives...

There is no "master" and "slave" or "primary" and "secondary" with SATA, that is all IDE stuff.

I am doing it right now, it works just fine, and I replied to your other post about my harddrive configuration if you want to take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom