leaving PC on for long period.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you want to ruin or shorten the lifespan of perfectly good hardware that you spend money on (money doesn't grow on trees people) just because you would "Upgrade to a better part in a few months". Like I said before people make up these"its better to leave it on" excuses because they're lazy and impatient and can't lift a finger to press the dang power button.

GreenTeaBagger said:
Why would you want to ruin or shorten the lifespan of perfectly good hardware that you spend money on (money doesn't grow on trees people) just because you would "Upgrade to a better part in a few months". Like I said before people make up these"its better to leave it on" excuses because they're lazy and impatient and can't lift a finger to press the dang power button.

It's not as if just leaving it on is going to absolutely ruin it. If you want to keep it in perfect condition, dont take it out of the package, problem solved! I'm sure we're all well aware of how much computer components cost and that parts (mostly) arent cheap. Right now since my gaming comp is out of commision (newegg sent a new mobo DOA, arghhhhh!!) I'm on my 3 year old 2.4ghz P4 dell. I have left this baby on for a long time and it has never had any problems. Only thing that has gone wrong is the crappy optical drives dell put in, but they crapped out 6 months after we got the computer anyway.

My dad has a 7 year old gateway, all original components, he has left that thing on for a long time and we have 3 cats and a dog, he doesnt clean out the hair at all. That thing has been running strong (yet slow as one could imagine) the whole time he's had it and it suits his needs. So, as I was saying, parts arent just going to die on you if they get used, since you know, that was their purpose.

Until you have sufficient proof that components life span and productivity is severely reduced in a resonable amount of time before one upgrades, I wont listen to your argument anymore.

This is why america has an epidemic of obesity! those finger lifting power button actions and the calories they burn add up! :) I hear ya but I think this whole thread is a matter of opinion and circumstance. People's computers vary so there isn't really a definite answer. I like to treat everything I own regardless of price, like a human being very close to me. Its only common sense that if you keep a constant load and stress on an object it'll be much quicker that the object meets its doom. As for me I think i'll keep on turning my power off.Just cause I love my comp and parents worked hard for the cash to buy it.

I worked hard to buy mine, it's not like I treat mine with total disrespect. You rarely hear about components just stop working (unless they were defective/overclocked too much/freak accident). A car takes a way bigger beating than a computer, and just look at how long some of those last. I know my Honda Accord has treated me well! (0 engine troubles in it's 14 year lifespan) Of course parts wear out (exhaust system rusts over 14 years worth of use) but if you were to compare it to a computer, the chip is going to last longer than it's components usually, but by now it should be time for an upgrade (no money for a corvette though :p) Plus 4 years of college starting in 2 weeks...$60,000 in debt, here I come! :)

Athlon said:
Not really, you cannot say that not knowing the size of the file.. it could be 30gb or something :p
Even 30GBs wouldnt take that long on a decent connection would it :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom