cant connect to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsavageboy

In Runtime
i just built my first system and it works awsome, except that i cant connect to the internet. my modem is fine.(i have tested it on other computers.) the motherboard knows its connected because when i connect it, a light goes on, on the modem. so modem and mobo are good. i even got a network card, same results.

so im pretty sure its a software problem. ive reinstalled windows. i took down the firewall. still nothing.

ive had people tell me that i need to register my mac address with my isp. i called them and the moron on the other line had no idea what i was talking about. im at my wits end and almost regretting not just buying a prebuilt pc. please help!

is your computer talking to your modem? When you type in IPCONFIG /ALL what do you get for IP Address, DNS Address, and Default Gateway?

first off thank you both so much for replying so quick. ok now for the questions. i am on dsl. when i type in the commands, my address is 172.16.1.33, my dns address is 172.16.0.1 and the default gateway is 172.16.0.1 thanks

ok that sounds like its talking to the modem ok...all looks good there. What happens when you try to connect to the internet? Just bombs out?

well i have three lights on my modem: power, broadband, and local network. the power always turns on(duh) and the local network turns on when i plug in my computer. but the broadlband never goes green. it stays blank then eventually turns red indicating no connection. so when i try to get on ie,(because i cant connect to download ffyet) it just gives me the no connection page.

as for the the ping question, can u give me instuctions how to do that? im not very good in dos.

nvm the ping im asuming this is a 2wire sbc router? you need 2 go to your router setup and configure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom