Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry-box

Baseband Member
I know everone probably asks the same question; "Is my CPU temp too high?" and I've got to ask the same question. *but I thinks that something is really wrong*

I've had to turn off Hyper-Threading b/c
My computer crashes/locksup whenever: The CPU is hotter than 45 C and I'm doing something graphic intensive. I can run anything else at a higher temperature and it doesn't "freeze up."

Specs:

intel P4 3.0Ghz
intel D865 perl
500w aspire PS
1gig ram
ATX

I suspect the high temp might be triggering a different problem that I don't know I have. I've got one of those Acrylic Clear UV cases, could that be messing it up? Those darn MB mounts didn't line up correctly, so I couldn't use all the mounts.
And, the graphics card is way older than the box, and it's the only thing that not "logo tested" by XP home.

I've got 5 fans, in this box excluding the heatsink fan. The Bios says its running 9 degrees hotter than what the temperature control module reads. But, isn't 50 something a safe temp for that CPU?

*Sorry for the long post*

Normally the CPU should not lock up at 50°C ..though is is a bit on the higher side ..Still it shouldn't be an issue .. I've personally run systems at much higher temps pretty stable.

Anywazy ..what temperature is ur GFX card running at ?? N' what card is it ??

Also ... WHat exactly are u runing when u say Graphic Intensive Apps ??

The card is a MSI built Nvidia 440 mx 64mb 8x. When I say Graphic intensive I mean video games like Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, Battle Field Vietnam and some other miscellaneous video editting.

How do I check to see what the temperature of the card is running at?
It doesn't have a fan, only a heatsink. I used to have the same card in my socket 370. But, it only ran at 4x not 8x could the 478 processor be pushing too hard and causing it to overheat, and "freeze up" the computer?

MSi has it's own utility which comes with the drivers ... I guess it's called 3d turbo experience or somethin'
U can use that utility to check ur card's temps

No ..ur new processor cannot be pushing the card to do more work ... the card will work only as fast as it it is designed to ...

I don't think u should disable ur hyper threading ...
Finally ..have u tried leaving the case windows open ..then checked ur temperatures .

Finally ... Are the temps u stated b4 under stress or in regular workin' conditions.?? what are the stress temps like??

first off, thanks for all the help so far...

the normal idle temp is about 42 C, when i've running games and such its 45-48C but, the BIOS says it's like 9 C higher than that.

I'll try leaving the case window off and see how hot it gets.

The reason I orginally turned the HT off was because it was crashing when I played game b/c it was over heating with it on. Now that it's getting warmer and the ambient temp in my house has risin. I am experiencing the same problem as before.

I was looking into buying a Swifttech heat sink

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-swi-09.html

but I can't even get the stock P4 heatsink off. It came with one of the those heatpads and I figured "This must be what I'm supposed to use." Now I feel like a dumbass b/c the pad has become a sort of "mega-glue" fusing the heatsink to the CPU. I can't think of any creative (non-destructive way of removing it).

Im running the same setup as you pretty much, but i have a brand new graphics card and i have just about the same temps. It was a dell built system but i got a new case and i threw in 3 extra fans (1 in the back, one on the side, one up top) Im still getting 43c idle and around 46-8c depending on what programs i have open. I feel its kind of high with 4 fans in it but not much else i can do. Im in the same boat as you if it makes you feel any better.:)

I went from the standard CPU HSF to a Cooler Master Aero 4
desighn .I did lap the heatsink , my temps dropped 10 degrees across the board . Also my retail HS was stuck pretty good on the CPU after a year attached to the thermal pad. I tried a few times to get it off then backed out .Finally i said your comming off .I Pulled from 1 end then the other and back finally the heatsink came off but the processor was still attached . I thought i had broke the CPU but all the prongs were fine . I twisted the CPU and it came right off the HS undamaged .So i re-seated it applied the thermal grease and new heatsink . Been working fine eversense . Im OC`d to 3.09 and stable Temp underload is 116 F
I would run MEMTest 2.1 on your system with HT enabled to rule out memory as a possibility .

Ry-box ... Now that u mention the thermal pad...i'm pretty much sure it's that which is causing all the trouble.

Those things can get stuck pretty well at times ... This is what u do ...
Release the retention mechanism of the HS ... Try n' gradually release the processor lock too .. now u should be able to pick up the HS with the processor attached to it ..
As cappy suggested loosen the processor of the HS using circular motion.

Just in case ur not able to release the processor's locking mech... then u can remove the retention mech. of the HS ..using a small screwdriver .Now only the HS would be stuck to the cpu without it's retension mechanism... Now u can definately release the processor's locking mech.

Sorry if this was a bit confusin' ..but then i didn't have the time to post pics..

And on a final note ... ur bios temps are more accurate.

FC_Andrew said:
Im still getting 43c idle and around 46-8c depending on what programs i have open.

Are those temp readings coming from the BIOS or a temp module? My Nextus temperature module has been reading that same idle temp 43 C. But, if the BIOS temp on my box is accurate then IÂ’m 9 degrees hotter than thatÂ… which is a bit scary.

Normally there's a thermistor present b/w the socket ... that's what measure's the temps displayed in the bios.

The winbond chip is normally a monitoring chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom