2GB vs 4GB on Windows Pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Exactly.

4GB only improves performance when you are slowed down with 2GB. So, 4GB will actually make you slower until you pass that 2GB mark, and then you'll show improvement.

Until then, it's just a burden on your system, because now your system has to cache all that extra space.

I guess it all has to do with how you use your computer then. I do allot of 3D Modeling and video encoding which can eat up my ram extremely fast. I assume most people on this forum merely play games on there comps. Also, neither of you showed me any proof. YouÂ’ve just repeated what IÂ’ve heard on these forums countless times over. I would feel much better about accepting that answer with some performance graphs or benchmarking. My whole point was that everyone makes this claim but IÂ’ve never seen any proof. So what do you do? Make the claim again without showing anything to support it.:confused:

yeah i work w/ 3dsmax 7 (animation) a lot and Acid 5.0 (audio editor) which both use up lots of RAM. but i doubt i'd need 4GB for them unless i were to use both at the same time...and that'd be very unproductive. maybe in the future when there's better stuff out i'll look into it or if i turn my computer into a server. thanks

What do you think of your XFX Geforce 7600GT video card? I'm thinking about upgrading my computer and that card is on my list.. btw, the computer I'm upgrading is not the one in my sig..

KingAustin said:
What do you think of your XFX Geforce 7600GT video card? I'm thinking about upgrading my computer and that card is on my list.. btw, the computer I'm upgrading is not the one in my sig..

i like it a lot. it's worked great w/ DOD:Source :)) though it's not too stressful on GPU's) I'll be using it for i almost opted to get a 7900GT and a X2 3800 instead. but i'm happy w/ my decision. (i'm planning on upgrading to a Direct X 10 card in about a year if my system starts to lag or if i decide i need everything at max settings @ 1440x900 resolution.

*note* i've only had this system for about a week and before i was playing games on my Inspiron 9200 w/ 128MB video (Radeon 9700 i think) and 1gb + 256mb for RAM.

^my laptop runs DOD:Source with medium-low settings at 20 FPS and lags about twice every 5-10 minutes. so this is a big step for me.

i'm not too picky about my settings being maxed out. i just want decent FPS (100ish) and no lagging (haha at 100FPS...no lagging) anyways that's basically my gaming backround for you if that helps. if you want i'll be able to tell you in about 2 weeks what i think of it (i'll be running BF2, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion and other games by then on it.)

Jumping_Bean514 said:
I guess it all has to do with how you use your computer then. I do allot of 3D Modeling and video encoding which can eat up my ram extremely fast.
Even so, it's highly unlikely that you will ever use more than 2GB of RAM at one time. Those applications that you are using are harder on CPU resources than RAM.
I assume most people on this forum merely play games on there comps.
Well, that's probably not a wise assumption to make. I have 1.75GB of RAM in my system, and I never play games on it. I use it for things like video transcoding, compiling code, network debugging, etc. And try as I might, i can NEVER get it to overload on memory usage. Again, the bottleneck is more often going to be drive I/O and CPU capacity, not RAM.
Also, neither of you showed me any proof. YouÂ’ve just repeated what IÂ’ve heard on these forums countless times over. I would feel much better about accepting that answer with some performance graphs or benchmarking. My whole point was that everyone makes this claim but IÂ’ve never seen any proof. So what do you do? Make the claim again without showing anything to support it.:confused:
It just seems to me a little odd that you come here asking questions, then refute what people are telling you. If you want "proof" from experts, then why don't you go find it yourself instead of asking people here to do your research for you.

But hey, if you want to spend a chunk of money on a useless H/W upgrade, be my guest.

jmhill1976 said:
Even so, it's highly unlikely that you will ever use more than 2GB of RAM at one time. Those applications that you are using are harder on CPU resources than RAM.

I get ram errors all the time when I'm rendering in 3ds max and I have 1.5 gigs of ram.

Well, that's probably not a wise assumption to make. I have 1.75GB of RAM in my system, and I never play games on it. I use it for things like video transcoding, compiling code, network debugging, etc. And try as I might, i can NEVER get it to overload on memory usage. Again, the bottleneck is more often going to be drive I/O and CPU capacity, not RAM.

I said "most", not all. Maybe you should pay closer attention to what IÂ’m saying before you post next time.

It just seems to me a little odd that you come here asking questions, then refute what people are telling you. If you want "proof" from experts, then why don't you go find it yourself instead of asking people here to do your research for you.

I've done my research and I have found the contrary to what people say on these forums. ThatÂ’s why I come here to see where other people are getting there information so I can compare and understand it better. This forum is for helping each other, talking, discussing and sharing information. So I see nothing wrong with me asking people where they have gotten there information. If you have a problem with people asking other people for help and recourses then your probably in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom