Not open for further replies.

clad

Beta member
The specs:
AMD athlon xp 2400+
1GB ddr 266 pc2100 RAM
Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 (agp)
COOLMAX CA-400 ATX v2.01 400W Power Supply
crappy motherboard that came with my emachines T2341 system with VIA KM 266 chipset

The problem:
The first problem I have is on power-up. The monitor will fail to get a signal. I have to turn on the computer without the graphics card in it, and after about 3 seconds push in the card, thus starting the machine. The onboard graphics is disabled as far as i know (doesnt show up in device manager), and there's no option in the BIOS to further make sure.
The second problem happens when I play world of warcraft. After a few minutes of play (varies usually, i've played up to 2 hours without a problem) the computer will either reboot for no reason or go to a black screen (not to be confused with blue screen). I understand it's a demanding game, but this problem has never occured yet when I play oblivion, guild wars, half life 2, etc. I used to be able to run World of Warcraft with no problems on the same machine. Also note that Warcraft3 experiences some screen tearing, and occasionally has the same reboot/black screen problem.

What I've tried so far:
Updated BIOS and chipsets from emachines website.
Turned off "reboot on failure" option.
Updated graphics card drivers.
Took off computer case in a cold room for better cooling, also cleaned dust off of cpu fans and graphics card fan.
Added extra fan to blow on graphics card.
Ran memory tests without finding any problems.
Ran virus scans and spyware removers.
Ran WoW without anything else in the background.
Reinstalled WoW.

Nothing's helped. Can anyone provide some feedback?

i had a similar problem, check to make sure in the power settings that the time to turn off monitor is NEVER. Its stupid but it caused the same problems with me when I played any of my emulators.

Mr Wizard said:
i had a similar problem, check to make sure in the power settings that the time to turn off monitor is NEVER. Its stupid but it caused the same problems with me when I played any of my emulators.

it's more complicated than that...i've always had it on Never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom