Amd 4200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid102

Baseband Member
I am planing on upgrading my emachine T6410 processor from 64 (2.2g) pc 3200+ to a 64 x2 4200+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

and since i plan top upgrade my processor i thought i might throw in 2 gigs of ram so here is my question :

when buying ram should i get the ddr400(pc 3200+) or can i go high to like ddr 500 or so? I am not sure what thet numbers after pc stand for either processor or mother board.

Actualy, the names are speed indicators. PC3200 ram runs at 400mhz (respectively) and its also called its ismple name DDR400. PC4000(i think it is) is DDR500 which runs at 500mhz. You CAN get any speed of ram (thats DDR) and put it in there. Your motherboard will just downclock it to (if your stock speeds) 400mhz which is standard FSB. If you get say DDR500 and its running at 400mhz then you can tighten your timings OR you cna OC your processor and the ram will be able to handle faster speeds. Understand? I can simplify it some more if you want.

P.P. Mguire said:
Actualy, the names are speed indicators. PC3200 ram runs at 400mhz (respectively) and its also called its ismple name DDR400. PC4000(i think it is) is DDR500 which runs at 500mhz. You CAN get any speed of ram (thats DDR) and put it in there. Your motherboard will just downclock it to (if your stock speeds) 400mhz which is standard FSB. If you get say DDR500 and its running at 400mhz then you can tighten your timings OR you cna OC your processor and the ram will be able to handle faster speeds. Understand? I can simplify it some more if you want.

Ok i get most what you said about over clocking and my timings but i am still confused about the speed of mother board and the speed of my processor how are they diffrent and what is eachs job.

As long as it is DDR400 or better, you ought to be good. You don't want to go with anything slower... and your mobo support dual-channel, so get either a kit or a couple of gig sticks.

It's an eMachine, so it ain't gonna overclock. But the better CPU and the extra RAM will definitely give it more kick.

if your 3200+ is 2.2ghz, then you can NOT upgrade to dual core because that would mean that your comp is socket 754. run cpu-z to make sure what socket your mobo is. if its actually 2.0ghz, then most likely its socket 939 and therefore you can upgrade to dual core...

Pre builts usualy have a higher core clock. I have a friend that has an AthlonXP 2400+ that has a stock speed of 2.0ghz where as my 2600+ has a stock speed of 1.92ghz. GO figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom