2GB vs 4GB on Windows Pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
4GB on Windows Pro x64 (CLOSED)

well i recently bought the computer in my sig and i was just wondering how well 4GB would work on my Windows XP Pro 64-bit version? I'd probably just get the exact same RAM i've got there if i were to upgrade. i just wanted input as to how well it'd work. THANKS

reggie_da_man said:
Well 4GB's isn't useless with 64 bit windows.

yeah this is basically my question...sorry i probably didn't get that across very well. i've heard that w/ windows you can only use 2-3GB of RAM and 2GB is actually faster than 3GB. I was wondering if that's the same w/ Windows XP Pro x64 because later on i might consider using 4GB if it'd increase (double?) the top speed of my computer.

Well windows XP 32 bit it hurts the preformance after 3GB's but Windows XP 64 bit actually takes advantage of it. Right now you fine with 2GB's.

alright thanks. that's all i needed to know for now. once it comes down to deciding on whether to buy more i'll ask how much of an improvement it'll make. thanks everyone. TOPIC ENDED

reggie_da_man said:
Well windows XP 32 bit it hurts the preformance after 3GB's but Windows XP 64 bit actually takes advantage of it. Right now you fine with 2GB's.

Everyone on these forums says that.... Its not that I donÂ’t believe it, but could someone link me to some information confirming this. Maybe some benchmarking with different amounts of the same ram?

2gb will be fine, if you upgrade to vista, then you should buy 4gbs.

Jumping_Bean514 said:
Everyone on these forums says that.... Its not that I donÂ’t believe it, but could someone link me to some information confirming this. Maybe some benchmarking with different amounts of the same ram?

Well I can prove to you how unnessecary it is. Hit control alt delete and see how much ram you're using, probably well under 1GB, usually even during gaming, so what are you gonna do with 4GB? You simply don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom