Socket AM2, What's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shando

In Runtime
It's been a while since I built my last rig, and I was wondering about Socket AM2. It is compatible with socket 939 CPUs? or will I have to buy a brand new AM2 mobo and CPU? Thanks

~Shando

AM2 is slightley diffrent from 939.

AM2 has 940 pins, and is only compatible with DDR2 memory.

And yes you need to go buy a AM2 mobo and CPU.

Ok Thanks. Another thing - Are there any good AM2 motherboards/CPUs on the market currently that you would reccommend?

For high budget or low?

I'm getting one that you could call it a budget motherboard because its only 100$ but its actualy of very high quality and is REALLY good for overclcking.

the DFI Infinity nF Ultra II M2

Its only cheap because it has a Nforce 4 chipset and not Nforce 5. and the diffrence is not so great..

Also one of the biggest and few advantages AM2 has over 939 is the DDR2 support, along with the on-die memory controller which reduces the access time tremendously[which is the biggest problem of DDR2, the latencies..], it truly shines.

-Jo.

I too am looking at getting a new mobo and cpu however I am not sure if I should go with 939 or AM2.

Right now I have a 754 socket AMD Athlon 64 3000+. I am using an MSI K8N Neo board.

I am also upgrading the board to get PCI-E as I purchased a new video card.

My big question is will an AM2 board that supports DD2 dual channel ram also support DDR400 dual channel ram? I currently have 2x512mb Corsair XMS ram and I don't plan to switch to DDR2 anytime soon as I feelw what I have is still sufficient enough.

The board I was looking at is http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010701&cid=MB.526

As for the chip I was figuring I would do with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 Windsor 2.4GHZ 2000FSB 2X512KB 90NM or the 939 socket 4600+ version if I just decide to go with 939.

The prices are the same so really I could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom