General start problem (CPU or Mobo my guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arumuni

In Runtime
Well, first I'll tell you the night before the incident.

I just formatted my HDD yesterday because it had a virus. So when everything was up and running, I execute the "msconfig>startup" command to make my computer perform better by taking out unnecessary processes. So I checked this one file on google, and it said it was a necessary file installed by nvidia drivers, but it also said it was a trojan. So I thought I'd just go right ahead and disable it.

I use my computer afterwards for a few hours and then it suddenly freezes, so I hit restart. Then it gets on my desktop and says that that certain file is missing, and freezes again. So right now I'm flippin' out, and I restart again. This time, and forever afterwards, it doesn't even startup. And when I say this, I mean everytime I hit the power button, it stays at a black screen, everything else seems to work (GPU, fans, ect.), but thats it. BLACK SCREEN galore.

===========================================

Can anyone suggest the problem and how to fix it? Since I can't even get into bios, or get the monitor to display anything, I'm betting it's either the CPU or the Motherboard (I'm guessing mobo).

Thanks.

um..have you tried pulling the hdd before turning it on? if that dont work, pull all hd's cd's, all accessory things(pci, bla bla bla) and only leave graphics(if u got integrated, then use those). only way it could be the cpu is if it overheated, but u disabled the nvidia driver, so i think u might have fried the vid card. what vid card is it? i had a 5500 and it went crazy as ****, so i rma'ed it, and it should be back here sometime today, but i wont be able to use it, the pc it was in fried(processor fan went out, so the processor fried, and the mobo went shortly after) and now im in a 333mhz p2 compaq....also can you try the card in another computer?

You're right, I haven't tried pulling out unnecessary parts, I'll sure to give it a try.

I have a eVGA Geforce 6800GT PCI-E video card. It had problems with overheating before, but I don't see how disabling one single "vital" ( :mad: ) component could get the entire card to fry. Like I said, the cards fan seems to be working fine, the card also is emitting a natural light. I sure hope to god it's not the card.

I can't really try it in another computer, since the only computer in the house besides mine is this crappy pentium I computer with totally outdated hardware.

I figure if the GPU went out, the onboard nvidia graphics chipset would still have gone on and allowed me to access the computer.

Reset the cmos jumper/pull battery. If you get it to post then start in safe mode and reinstall the nvidia drivers or vga mode would probably be better. f8 on restart then select vga mode from the list. But if clearing the cmos doesn't alow it to post then remove everything from the board "EVEN THE VIDEO CARD" and ram ide cables etc etc just leave the cpu in and all the power cables and if it won't beep and you have your internal speaker hooked up the motherboard is toast.

Well, if by reset the cmos you mean that little red button, then I did so. I hit it while the computer was on, and then when nothing happened, I restarted multiple times, and still nothing.

My mobo doesn't have a monitor port (I was flippin' out), so I had to put my GPU back in, in order to hook up the monitor somewhere. The screen still remains that same. I unplugged everything (sound card, 2 optical drives, 1 HDD, 1 floppy, RAM), I left the IDE cables plugged into the mother board seeing as how they certainly cannot cause the problem. All that was left was the mobo, CPU, and graphics card.

It still doesn't work. I figured the mobo can't be broken seeing as how it is still managing to run all the fans that are plugged into it, so my conclusion is that my CPU (Venice 3000+), ran out of juice, in only the one year I had it with no OC'ing what-so-ever.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If you don't know where the jumper is to clear the cmos (read the manual) Or just pull the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes then reinsert it. Just because the fans are working doesn't mean anything. Search the forums there are hundreds of people with the same problem it almost always is the motherboard. After clearing the cmos and it still won't post,,,like I said before remove everthing from the board and if you have your internal speaker hooked up to the board and you hear no beeps the motherboard is toast. With the ram and video card out it should beep at you like crazy if the motherboad was any good. Sorry if you doin't like the answer but that is just how it is.

Oh no, I really, REALLY appreciate your help, even if it ends up costing me a few hundred. =P

Okay, I will do as you said. But first, removing the battery, can I remove it normally with like tweazers or do I need to remove it in a special way? I don't really know anything about my mobo's (MSI K8N Neo 4) internal speaker, so maybe if you could further help me out on that.

But I again ask, could it be the CPU by any chance? Because if the CPU is toast, then nothing else is going to end up working I presume.

If you have your motherboard manual handy look through it and see if contains anything about a speaker jumper, or you can check the manufacturer website for documentation. There should be a jumper on the board for turning the speaker on and off and you want it in the on position

If there is any problem that is not motherboard related you should get a series of beeps, which you can crossreference with these:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

(I assume you either have an Award or Phoenix BIOS)

If you have a DFI board there are four diagnostic LEDs that are used to document the POST process, if none of the LEDs come on you either have an issue with the CPU or RAM

If you are getting power to your computer though chances are it is not a dead board, at most if might be an issue with the BIOS which can be corrected via hotflashing (although it is a painfully annoying process)

I think it's the motherboard now guys. I simply started it, without anything in it, and there was no sound. So I'm thinking of getting a new mobo. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help, you're all great.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom