Is it better to have (Ram question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazydog115

Baseband Member
I know it's better to have 2 512's instead of a 1 gig stick, but it's better to have 4 512's instead of 2 1 gig sticks, right?

well, i think that you should take the 2 gig sticks and run them in dual channel if you can. then you will have 2 slots open to add more.

It doesn't really matter too much. Personally, I went with 2 1GB sticks of RAM. I made that decision mostly due to price. It turned out to be cheaper to go with 2x1GB rather than 4x512MB.

Why would you want to add more after you have 2GB? Windows won't know what to do with anything beyond that point, Unless you do some insane amount of video editing or something.

Did I say I wanted to add more then 2GB?

I wanted to know if I should have

4x512 MB (2 Gig)
or
2x1 gig (2 Gig)

That wasn't directed at you, I should have quoted who I was saying that to, sorry.

M733mhz said:
Why would you want to add more after you have 2GB? Windows won't know what to do with anything beyond that point, Unless you do some insane amount of video editing or something.

Windows 32bit sees about 3 or 3.2 Gb of ram. Windows 64bit sees 8 Gb I think. And yea, Any type of graphics design, video/audio processing/CAD, etc will use it.

2Gb is more than enough for most systems.

Just to add, windows XP 32 bit see 4 gigs of ram and 64 bit see 128 gigs of ram and 16 terabytes of virtual memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom