XP Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankush09

Daemon Poster
Xp

I installed XP on one of my old computers which had 98 before and when ishut down the computer, it dosent shut down itself and it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer". This use to be on windows 95, and when I had 98 it never happened. Any way to stop it from happening and just shutting down automatically?

Firstly ...are u sure ur old system has an ATX power supply .... 'coz it can shut down automatically only if the power supply is an ATX

Most likely because the BIOS version that you have isn't ACPI compliant. This is a known problem with 2000 and XP. Read this post:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7889

According to Microsoft, flashing your BIOS with a ACPI compatible version most likely WILL NOT solve the problem, as you have to apply the flash before installing. They say that you have to reinstall after the flash has been made. I've seen this to be true and not true. But it should fix your problem.

-Mike

Its probably becuase you dont have advanced power management active. Go to Control Panel>Power Options and look for APM and select it.

Just another thing to add .. U might just have ACPI disabled in the bios ..check that up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom