PC Startup Issues (looking for ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mBernhardt

In Runtime
I've got an older HP that has been a bit of a workhorse for me. Once I get it up and running, it'll run for months without fail.

Problem is whenever it looses power for whatever reason it's a pain in the *** to get started back up.

I start it up and I it doesn't get past the POST. (no beep)

I do not hear the HD's start to spin up. (I could, they are old and loud) Nor does the monitor click on from standby.

If I let it sit for a while, it will eventually start back up.

I've gotten to think if it isn't maybe a heat-related issue. I haven't looked into it just yet. The airflow in the PC isn't the best.

Or I was wondering if it wasn't a power supply issue. There's 3HD's, 1 CDROM and a floppy as well as all the usual crap in there running off a 160W power supply. Only thing with this is that its also had the same issue when I unplug all but the CD and floppy. (live CD boot)

Any ideas?

Sounds like a power supply failure to me as well, I've seen a lot of older HPs come in for repair with similar issues. In the off chance that this isn't your power supply I'd blame the mobo, but I am quite certain that it's your ps. You'll want to buy a new one. Make sure you find one that can fit your HP case (unless you like modding) as they are often an odd shape.You'll need one suited for that specifc model if that's the case (Google it)

...Maybe you could try clearing the BIOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for about a minute then placing it back, and shifting the BIOS clearing jumper on the motherboard and placing it back (if there is one).

yea i (had) an older hp as well. pavilion 7940, limited edition, 1.3 ghz p3, 133 mhz fsb 512mb ram, 2 40gb hd's 1 80 gb hd, a 3dfuzion mx4000(got more power than a fx 5500) realtek 10/100 lan card, usb 2.0 card and a dvd burner, all off of the stock 180 ps, but it couldnt take it, so i upgraded to a 350 athena and its smaller, quieter, and cooler, plus got more airflow, and got the extra power...system used to crash until i got it....

o, also, get a new cmos battery, thattl fix alot too

Alvin.C said:
...Maybe you could try clearing the BIOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for about a minute then placing it back, and shifting the BIOS clearing jumper on the motherboard and placing it back (if there is one).
Didn't think of that, wouldn't hurt to clear the cmos and maybe replace the battery (they're like $3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom