keyboard stops working when XP starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matronx

Solid State Member
I have a customer’s computer that at first appears to have motherboard or keyboard damage but I have found this to not be so. Both ps2 and usb keyboards will work in bios. This obviously meaning the keyboard is good as well as the ps2 and USB ports on the MB. As soon as Windows XP starts up the keyboards stop working and I just get a beep, and the system is slow(only 128 Mb of mem) but not frozen. The system was only serves pack 1, I put on sp2. No change. I used virtual keyboard to go in to “msconfig” and shut off all start up and services just incase it was a virus or unwanted program, no change. I tried different memory, no change. Our store prides our self on fixing most problems with out formatting and starting anew like all others in this area. I fear we will need to format this on unless some one has an answer. If you have an answer pleas be quick we received this system yesterday and we like to get systems back to there owners as soon as possible.

Yes, I should have said that before, sry. That is the point when we realized a reformat may be necessary if a solution can not be found. As I type this I have “ewido” (anti spy) running don’t think that will do anything but worth a try to se if it’s a virus.

Hello,

Okay. So the problem doesn't occur when you don't have a PS/2 or USB keyboard plugged in when the system boots into an OS in safe mode?

You say you hear a 'system beep'. This is probably a Windows XP sound event for something - especially if sound events have been turned off, if there is no sound card, or if there is no driver installed for the soundcard.

My hunch is that the keyboard problem is driver related.

Boot back into safe mode with a PS/2 keyboard plugged into the system...then go to the Device Manager in Control Panel > System. Look for Keyboards in the list...do you see a keyboard device their, and if so is it reporting that it's operating properly?

...If you don't see a keyboard device their, look for any unknown hardware devices listed.

(Alternatively, go to Keyboard in Control Panel, then click on the hardware tab and check to see if a keyboard is listed and is reporting to be working properly).

IÂ’m sry again IÂ’m trying to work on other pcÂ’s as well as watch this post. And hit post to soon.

I mint to say yes, IV tried it in safe mode BUT it still will not work. I have uninstalled the keyboard drivers and reinstalled them for both the standard ps2 and USB keyboards.

Windows says the keyboard is working properly

The beep is not from the sound card (working) but from the motherboard speaker.

Hello,

Okay. Try using another motherboard in the system and see if it works, that way you can properly eliminate whether the motherboard is causing the problem or not.

we donÂ’t have a matching motherboard (its a dell yuck)and with xp it wont boot correctly with out a similar set up

at this point i need to see if the owner want us to reformat or spend more time on it

tnx for your help and in the case that they want us to continue looking for a nondestructive solution Ill still take any other suggestions you or others may have

...What keyboard driver does Windows report that it's using when you use a PS/2 keyboard, and then a USB keyboard?

just got the ok to reformat thanks for trying to help ill post results after its finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom