Search And Desktop Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be willing to do a poper repair on the OS?

only takes like 13 minutes or so...

[EDIT]

Do you have mulitple drives, partitions or network shares that you are trying to search through?

You mean proper repair, right? Can you explain what that is?

Also, I am only running one hard drive and I have only one partition. I don't think I have any network shares, not really sure what those are though.

just boot to the cd and when you get to the main cd menu click enter dont click R for recovery console ur need to install windows. now its gonna show you the OS you have installed select it and press R to repair it donno if that will help but it could and thats how you do it.

LOL yes, "proper". Sorry about that.

I'll give you a good guide to instruct on the proper repair steps.
This may help, but It may not. I can't think of a good reason why your machine would just halt, halfway through a search task.

Does it always stop on the same spot? Any particular folder or section of HDD where it stops?

repair guide:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I will try the proper repair in a little bit. But now when you ask me if it stops in a certain spot I watched it search for a while and then I minimized it when it stopped. A little bit later I looked back it was going again, and then stopped again. But the wierd thing is it isn't doing the stops in big folders (like it is just searching a long time or something), just little ones. It is always random too.

I found my problem with the search feature. Everytime I open up the search feature this process' cpu usage, fssm32.exe, sky rockets for some reason. It goes to above 50% always, sometimes even 90%, and causes the stops in my searches. When I said my search feature worked before, that was because F-Secure wasn't installed. The fssm32.exe is part of F-Secure. This never happened to me before with F-Secure, and I don't know why it is happening now. But also, just now I was installing Quicktime and my whole computer just froze up and I had to unplug the cable. What should I do in this case? I don't want to uninstall F-Secure, since I think it is a good program and this never happened to me before. I want to hear your opinions on what you think I should do.

EDIT:

One thing I changed now that I never did before was turn real-time scanning to scan all files. Can someone tell me what real-time scanning is as I believe that could be the cause.

EDIT 2:

It worked. I turned off real-time scanning and now my cpu usage stays low and the search feature works properly with no pauses what so ever. I still don't know what real-time scanning is, but I think it scans files that I am looking at, at the moment I am looking at them. If anyone knows, please explain. Thanks for all the help guys, but I guess it was as simple as don't turn things on that you don't know what they do.

Real scanning or real time scanning or whatever the software vendor call it now is the ability to scan active files while they are running or being used. It's helps protect you from malicious software when they are executed. But there's more information to the feature than my brief two sentence explanation. You should keep the setting enable but you should lower it's setting if it allows you to.

Yeah, I still have it enabled, I just put it down to the defaults so it doesn't cause my computer to slow down.

Well, now that I have this problem taken care of does anyone have any idea about my second question?

It could be related, I would check F-Secure for any option that protects your desktop from being change. Most security program prevent malicious software from doing so, but it can get in your way if you don't configured it properly.

It isn't that I can't change my desktop background, it is just that whenever I go to change it all the backgrounds are on the "center" option, so they are just small images in the center. However for them to look right it has to be on stretch. So is there an option somewhere in the registry or something that will switch the box thing to say stretch as default and not center? I know this happened after I deleted this one wallpaper, it was called Live, and I actually think it was from my sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom