Quick CPU swap question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrick007

Solid State Member
First of, if this is in the wrong place, or has been discused already, just point me in the right direction, thanks.

My parents impulsivly baught an Asus T2 with an Intel 3.0 GHz CPU and 1 gig of ram after there old computer gave out. The only thing they ever use this thing for is looking stuff up on the internet, checking there email, and the occasioinal doing of taxes. I have an HP 754n with 1 gig of ram and an Intel 2.53 GHz CPU, but I actualy use my computer, games and such. So I was thinking, there both Intel P4 socket 478 CPUs, what if I switch them? Will this effect the programs, general saved info, of the computer? all that stuffs on the hard drive anyway, so switching CPUs will only effect performance, right? Basicly, I want to know if my parents will notice a differance or if all the programs will be gone or somthing if I switch the CPUs. I know how to do it, it's just that the only CPU i've installed is on a bare bones system, so I only saw the after, not the before.

Any help apreciated, Derrick.

I will give you the go ahead. There isnt much of a performace increase or decrease to notice anything significant. It wont affect programs, etc. While you are at it, take 512lb of their ram since that is all they do and give it to yourself. :)

Corect me if I am wrong, but I believe that one can swap out CPU's wuthout any problem as long as the new CPU can work on the same socket.

Well, like I said, there both Intel P4 Socket 478s, so it should work. nothings stored on the CPU anyway. Hey, lookin at it now, I see an advantage my comp has over my parents. There tiny little T2 hase 1 PCI slot and an AGP. I have 4 PCIs and an AGP, hurray expansion! they can accomadate twice as much ram as me, but oh well. I'm gonna go for it now, i'll report back after it's done.

1 GB is overkill for internet/e-mail activities. If they've got 512x2, take one of the sticks.

Btw, look how small these things are! You're gonna have to do some surgery to get that CPU out.

CMP-ASU-T2PH1_G3.jpg

Yeah! 3.0 GHz CPU! with no false repercautions. oh yeah, and after I opened it up, I found that the T2 can handle the same amount of Ram as mine, so now my computers better. And in case you were wondering, taking the CPU out of the T2 was a huge annoyince. I had to take out the power source, all the power cables, and almost every other cable. there all gowing through that area, so It's the only way I could safely take it out. With my computer, I opened it, took out the heatsink, lifted the lever, and it was done. not so with the T2. When it comes to PC cases, biggers better. I have the other stick of ram too, but what should I do with it. My PCs full, so I guess ebay.

Either way, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom